This course covers the fundamentals of using the large CNC Router:
- Materials you can and can't use.
- Powering up and shutting down.
- Basic use of the Vectric's Cut2D software which makes cut paths. (Cut2D is available on one of the machines at the Hack Factory)
- Basic use of Mach3 software which controls the router.
- Basic uses and advantages of router bits.
From Vectric's website: Cut2D is designed to help Hobby CNC machine users convert CAD DXF and graphics designs into GCode / CNC Toolpaths for machining parts and components.
- Laptop with the trial version of Vectric's Cut2D software.
- Project ideas intended for the CNC Router
A trial version of Cut2D can be downloaded from Vectric: http://www.vectric.com/products/cut2d/trial.html
Cut2D is Windows-only, but it does run well in a virtual machine. There are also reports that it runs under Wine.
Instructor: Matt Rymer
When & Where
Twin Cities Maker
Twin Cities Maker is a workshop community in Minneapolis where you can Make, Share and Learn. Our classes are open to members and non-members alike.
For more information about Twin Cities Maker, including how to become a member, check out our main website.