INTERNATIONAL LEGISLATION UNHACKATHON: TRANSFORMING GOVERNMENT
LEGAL HACKS is hosting an International Legislation UNHackathon sponsored by the Hastings Science & Technology Law Journal.
Participants will gather in groups and “mark up” existing laws into an XML format based on an international standard to promote transparency, accountability, democratic participation, and good governance. Working together, attorneys and technologists will identify the best methods to markup relevant laws into the XML standard.
Some of the key areas of focus will be Constitutions, Privacy laws, and Open Government Laws, but participants can choose to work on other areas of law too.
In addition to Stanford and UCHastings, local events are being organized at Stanford Law School, in Denver, CO and in Italy.
Don’t know what “mark up?” means? Don’t worry, it’s easy. Come, learn, and contribute!
*Please be sure to bring your laptop
NEW: The event website is up now at legalhacks.org. (Still under development)
Mark up Pre-Selected laws and laws you choose!
- Mark up Pre-selected laws: US Constitution, Federal and State Privacy, Open Government
- Breakout Session: Any laws you want!
We welcome participants from around the world to host your own local event. We suggest the following elements for your event:
1. An Ignite Talk on the importance of structured data for open government.
2. Select a few pieces of legislation to mark up using a developinginternational XML standard for legislation.
3. Marking up the legislation with the goal of having all countries'constitutions in XML, and perhaps also selected open government laws.
AGENDA FOR MAY 19TH
11:30 - 12:30 Registration and Lunch
12:30 - 1:00 Official Start: Ignite Speech, Grant Vergottini, Jim Harper.
(Google+ Hangout On Air)
1:00 - 1:15 Brief tutorial to explain XML standard and how marking up works
1:15 - 1:30 Brainstorm on areas of the law to mark up*
1:00 - 5:00 Markup - Break - Discuss
5:00 - post-mixer (location TBA)
Share your thoughts here (Eventbrite) or on the Wiki we have set up for the occasion:
*We are working now on an event website
Additional links and information
· Legex Info (Grant Vergottini’s blog describing background info for the event)
When & Where
Google+ hangout will be announced on legalhacks.org on the day of the event.
Twitter Hashtag: #legalhacks
Check out legalhacks.org for information on how to participate