San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Chef Sylvan Mishima Brackett of Peko Peko was born in Kyoto and grew up in a drafty Japanese house in the foothills of California’s Sierra Nevada. His mother’s home cooking and summer trips to visit his grandmother in Japan instilled in him a love of simple, real Japanese food.
Sylvan has cooked in restaurants in Portland, Oregon and the Cote d’Azur, France. He returned to California to work at Chez Panisse in Berkeley, for six years as Alice Waters’ assistant and then as the restaurant’s first Creative Director, in charge of special dinners and events.
But the food of his childhood called to him. He left for Japan to eat and cook and worked at a locally famous soba restaurant in the countryside north of Tokyo. There, down-to-earth hospitality determined the service and the search for the most vibrant ingredients determined the menu. This informality and attention to the basic foodstuffs—local fish, local rice, organic vegetables, hand shaved katsuobushi, heritage breed meats—all prepared simply, describe Peko-Peko’s food.
When & Where
Impact Hub San Francisco
Impact Hub Bay Area is part of a global community taking collaborative action for a better world. The Impact Hub is an inspiring space, meaningful content and a vibrant global community of people.
We share the following values:
· Placemaking: We value the place around us.
· Collaborative Effort: Our community values creative cooperation and collaboration.
· Ethic of Respect: Impact Hub is a respectful place. It is safe for diversity, ideas, inspiration, and creativity.
· Building a Better World: Our community honors hopes, dreams, and values.
· Radical Inclusion: All are invited to join and build on the conversation.
Join the Impact Hub Community today and receive discounts on events, classes and professional development opportunities.
Phone Berkeley: 510-649-7700
Phone San Francisco: 415-624-5881