Conquer the challenges of working for yourself.
If you're working for yourself, then chances are you've already got a lot of really great processes in place to manage yourself. Maybe you're Getting Things Done, or you're Timeboxing, Kanban-ing, or you're squishing Pomodoros. (Maybe you've never heard of any of those handy things. If that's the case, you would definitely benefit from joining for this event!)
Chances are also really good, however, that there are other places you still feel you could do better in. There are some things about working for yourself that just drive you nuts. That's where your fellow peers come in.
We can make the hard parts not so hard if we band together. On Saturday, September 7, we'll be gathering to share our best practices and brainstorm ways we can help one another in ways otherwise impossible when we're on our own. By joining forces, we can build support systems that can provide the structure and accountability we need while maintaining the freedom we love.
Read more on our ranty, passionate blog post!
// What's happening
- Everyone who attends will have a chance to speak. This will be an unconference format. If you're not familiar with unconferences, the gist is that the people who come are also the people who speak. If you have something to contribute, step up and share! Each discussion will be 30 minutes, with a lightning round at the end, so you'll have a chance to learn a lot, fast!
- Learn from all of the sessions. At each session, one person will volunteer to take notes to be shared with the rest of the group at the end of the day.
- Help build the Greatest Salad Ever. What helps get you and your body into the right state of mind for being expansive and productive? We'll be kicking off with a little collaborative lunch project. Bring an ingredient and help us assemble a big, beautiful salad bar! You can make your own salad from whatever ingredients you like best, and contribute to a big concoction for people to share!
// Share your brilliance
If the idea of stepping up and making your voice heard at a conference is new to you, here are few things to keep in mind about why it could be massively beneficial to you:
- Are you working on something amazing? Share it.
- In the middle of a project and stuck? Talk about it.
- Do you have something to teach small business owners? Go for it.
- Build your reputation in the community. Reputation = social currency.
||Arrive. Assemble our salads.
Opening remarks. Kickoff.
Opening of the Unconference Board for open submission of topics
Quick round of pitches from each person leading a session
||First round of discussions (topics to be set by the attendees!)
||Second round of discussions (topics to be set by the attendees!)
Third round of discussions (topics to be set by the attendees!)
Reconvene the whole group to discuss what we learned. Notetakers from each discussion will share a summary of what was discussed and make room for questions from the group.
Lightning round - 5 minute quick presentations of favorite tips and tricks!
||Wrap up & setup for afterparty
(Can't make it for the whole event? It's okay to stop in for part of it if you'd like!)
// Proposed discussion topics & activities
These are a few of the potential subjects we can cover. Propose a topic!
- How to manage for your creative cycle - Have you ever tried to force yourself to be creative but felt like your body was fighting against you? Your energy levels affect what kind of work you could or should be doing at any given moment. In this discussion, we'll talk about how to plan for this and work through the natural ups and downs.
- Manifest like a mofo - Just the right amount of "woo woo" combined with hard work and purposeful intention is the secret recipe for attracting what you want in life, love and work. Become best buds with the universe with real tips and tricks of the manifesting trade, straight from the patchouli-scented mountains of Boulder, Colorado. (Proposed by Amy Segreti!)
- Share your planner - How do you plan out your week? Do you use a special notebook? Have you created your own system? Show and tell!
- How to avoid aches and pains while working - Doug Alexander, a specialist in nerve compression and irritation syndromes will show you the anatomical, biomechanical and psychological keys to being more comfortable at work and play. (Check out his practice here!)
- Sex, bullshit & marketing yourself - Let's spend some time talking about why selling our work, our services and ourselves is such a challenge for so many of us and we can share some of our personal successes and failures. I'll share a bit about why thinking about sex and dating can make you a better (non-douche-baggy) salesperson. (proposed by Jeff Namnum)
// What you will come away with
- You'll have learned some handy new techniques
- You'll have learned how to improve your own techniques by sharing them with others and getting their feedback
- You'll have access to the notes and conversations from the event, so you can continue to benefit from them after the fact
- You'll have connected awesome people with whom you share things in common that you might never have thought you'd find before
// In the weeks following the gathering
Know what sucks about getting together for an event? When you build up all kinds of excitement and momentum and then Monday comes and it all dissipates as the "real world" takes hold again. We'll be discussing ways we can keep things rolling long after the event is over.
This is part of a larger conversation which will be taking place over the course of the fall. Stay tuned!
// If you can't make it to the event but still dig what's happening
Jump on an "I can't make it" ticket above. There will be lots more happening after this event that you'll want to know about!
// See also
Friends, partners, and things happening that you should know about!
- Work Revolution Summit - September 20-21. Learn more and apply!
- 99U Pop-up School - Incredible one-day classes with some awesome business luminaries!
- Real Manifesting Workshop - Intensive three week course in manifesting your ideal life & work
- Reboot Workshop - Dynamic presentations from leading entrepreneurs - Unique core conversations and Q&A - Network with like-minded individuals * Includes a copy of “Without Their Permission” by Alexis Ohanian ($26 value)
Have questions about IndieCon - An unconference for independent workers!?
Contact New Work City