We would like to invite you to an event to write code, write software for social good, hack wireless routers and learn something about cryptography all in aid of helping people affected by hurricane #sandy.
The event will feel a bit like a #HurricaneHackers themed Cryptoparty and there will be a lot of crossover of interests.
The event will have the following format:
A quick talk to provide some context for the hackathon and to let people know what they can expect from the event.
- Round table style (where everyone that turns up shares their knowledge on the topic / focus).
- ~ 80mins each w/ breaks and then people should go to the next table
- OpenWRT router hacking (Howto: Flash and Hack Different Models of Router, Extend Coverage of Public Hotspots, Mesh Networking, Other advanced topics etc) + Sharing Internet Connections Between Devices (more than just tethering :p)
- Howto: #HurricaneHackers Community (howto join us, help us etc) + Maptivism,. Making Maps To Help People (bit.ly/hh-index, bit.ly/hh-projects, bit.ly/hh-linklist, hh-mindmap) + Howto #Cryptoparty Community (IRC, the wiki, meetups, the book).
- Robust Android Communications - Oppertunistic Twitter Client (Twimight) + Secure Android Communications - Encrypted SMS and Phone Calls (Textsecure and Ostel.me etc)
- #HurricaneHackers Code Sprints and Development Sessions-
- Hacking on bit.ly/hh-projects and https://github.com/hurricanehackers
Putting it into context
Sandy is a major storm, previously a hurricane, that has caused extensive flooding, power and transportation outages, and physical damage to the US East Coast and Caribbean. More than 100 deaths have been linked to the storm. You can see an overview of what is going on in NYC here: http://google.org/crisismap/2012-sandy-nyc
So essentially, over 100,000 people in Lower Manhattan are without power, and will likely not have it back up for a few days. In order to stay informed as the situation changes, and to keep in touch with loved ones, they will need a way to communicate with their laptops and phones.
This is a unique opprtunity to innovate to help people (people before borders, tech beyond borders) and maybe change the debate on issues like universal free open wifi) lease volunteer some coding / hacking time and help some real people in a different part of the world that are not having a great time right now. This a chance to demonstrate the power of the open, unrestricted internet
If you are in NYC are looking for space to work with power, heat, and wifi, check out https://sandycoworking.crowdmap.com/ and the#sandycoworking hashtag on Twitter. Many of NYC's co-working spaces were damaged, so the need for work space is urgent. Updates on the broader NY Tech community response can be found at www.nytechresponds.org.
Please share this post far and wide!