HumanThread, Connecting Communities, Art & Nonviolence
WE INVITE YOU TO BECOME A VIP FOR NONVIOLENCE, ARTS & EDUCATION and
September 20, 2013 Friday
Art Exhibit & Reception: 6pm - 10pm
VIP Program: 7pm - 9pm
$50 per person/ $60 at the door
- Photo Exhibit featuring "A View from a Stranger" by Satoki Nagata, Cabrini-Green: Frances Cabrini Rowhouses. As an internationally recognized photographer, Nagata's work has been featured and praised by Gapers Block, Chicago Reader, Examiner, Art nerd,Xatakafoto Spain, I'Espresso Italy, Leica Camera Russia, fubitz France and others.
- Another insightful photo exhibit added:
EDUCATE ME! by Keta Glenn, a recent graduate of Columbia College, Fine Art Photography Major
- Multiple art openings and open studio tour as part of BAC's 3rd Friday Gallery Opening
- Raffle, Prizes are: 1) Laugh Factory $120 value, 2) Nana Organic Restaurant Gift Card $50, 3) Paul Mitchell Gift Card $50, 4) Jazz Showcase VIP package, $120 value, 5) Buddy Guy Blues Legend signed book, CD, and limited edition framed photo.
- Live Performances by HumanThread's Talents including world music and spoken word performances!
- Wine, Cheese & Chocolate
- Networking Opportunity with other VIPs for PEACE, ARTS & EDUCATION
- Peace & Love!
The internationally recognized Japanese photographer Satoki Nagata, who spent three years documenting life in Cabrini-Green Rowhouses, shows his work Friday, September 20th at the Bridgeport Art Center’s HumanThread Gallery. His photographs show intimate moments in the lives of people who resided in the Frances Cabrini Rowhouses and captures the strength and vulnerability alive in a neighborhood marked by social and economic vulnerability.
The photos raise questions about how our larger society, and the world at large, handles poverty. “Through these images, I hope people will discover the subtle but substantial links captured in my photographs and feel a connection to the world I document”, he commented. Nagata’s current documentary project showing life on Chicago’s Westside will also be part of the exhibit opening.
Nagata’s opening takes place during the Bridgeport Art Center’s third open studios where over 50 artists invite visitors to view their studios and see their work.
HumanThread Gallery is a nonprofit organization that engages individuals in conversation about peace, non-violence and human dignity through art, education and discussion.
LOCATION & PARKING:
1200 W. 35th Street 5th Floor (Enter the building thru Back Entrance and take elevator to 5R)
Chicago, IL 60609
Enter on North Side off of Racine/34th to FREE Parking Lot in the back of the building.
CTA BUS: #35 to 35th St & Racine
Orange Line: 35th & Archer and take #35 bus to 35th & Racine
Green Line: 35th-Bronzville-IIT and take #35 bus to 35th & Racine