Human Trafficking in the Dakotas
Friday, July 26, 2013 from 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM (CDT)
This is a conference for, by, and about the people who confront, respond to, and battle human traffickers and aid those who fall into their net. Speakers will include law enforcement, social service providers, attorneys, and non-profits with first-hand field experience. Best practices, new developments, and recent cases will be featured. Let's stand together and show that we will not allow this injustice to occur in the Dakotas.
The conference features keynote speakers, open sessions with the invited speakers, and panel discussions. Professional organizations and leaders in the field will host.
9:00 AM - 9:15 AM: Registration, coffee and donuts
9:15 AM - 9:30 AM: Welcome remarks by Dr. Elizabeth Talbot, Associate Professor, Department of Social Work, University of South Dakota
9:30 AM -10:20 AM: Presentation, "Building the Strongest Case: Effectively Prosecuting Human Traffickers" by Kevin Koliner, Appellate Chief, U.S. Attorney's Office, District of South Dakota.
10:20 AM - 11:10 AM: Panel Discussion, "Spotting the Bad Guys While Protecting Child Human Trafficking Victims"
- Marty Hoffman, officer with the Sioux Falls Police Department for 8 years, detective with Crimes Against Persons section for 3 years. Investigations include assaults, child abuse, sexual assaults, suicides, and homicides. Recently joined the SD Human Trafficking Task Force in helping to enhance the response for victims and assist in prosecution of offenders, in Sioux Falls and surrounding areas.
- Other members of the South Dakota Human Trafficking Task Force.
12:10 PM - 1:00 PM: Lunch Box lunches include sandwich, chips, and a cookie. Bottled water and fruit will be provided to everyone, free of charge.
- To order a box lunch, select following ticket type: "Admission including box lunch." During registration, you will be asked to specify the type of box lunch you would like: roast beef, turkey, or vegetarian. Box lunches cost $10 plus a processing fee.
- To make a donation to help with costs of the event, select one of the following ticket types: "Admission with donation and box lunch" or "Admission with donation NO box lunch." These ticket types allow you to donate any amount. If you would like to donate AND purchase a lunch, please add $10 to the amount of your donation.
1:00 PM - 2:45 PM: Session, "Fighting the Invasion of Body Snatchers: Jail for Traffickers, Safety & Resources for Victims" includes
- Resources for Victims of Trafficking: Susan Omanson and Rev. Kimberly Kaveny, Be Free, Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
- Fighting Body Snatchers by Providing Safety for Victims and Civil Lawsuits to Get Resources for Victims: Linda Miller, Executive Director, Civil Society, St. Paul, Minnesota.