Howard County Bicycle Friendly Business Workshop
Wednesday, July 17, 2013 from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM (EDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Bike Maryland will hold a Bicycle Friendly Business (BFB) Workshop at the Central Branch, Howard County Public Library on July 17 from 1pm to 3pm. This free event was made possible through a grant from Performance Bicycle and is designed to help businesses encourage and support their employees to commute to work by bicycle. Each year the League of American Bicyclists awards businesses across the country that have made significant strides in becoming a more bicycle friendly place to work. This high distinction can help employers set themselves apart by demonstrating their commitment to workplace wellness. Data shows that increased workplace wellness can benefit employers by:
- Reducing healthcare costs by 20 to 55 percent
- Reducing short-term sick leave by six to 32 percent
- Increasing productivity by two to 52 percent
The BFB Workshop will give businesses in the Howard County area the tools they need to improve workplace wellness by providing a conducive environment for bicycle commuting. Please direct any questions to Bike Maryland's Bicycle Friendly Maryland Program Coordinator, Anna Kelso (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Detailed Workshop Information and Agenda HERE
When & Where
Bike Maryland is a 501(c)(3) non-profit with a mission to enhance bicycling safety and conditions while providing a voice for bicyclists. Each year we host free safety education workshops for 10,000+ children and adults through our Bike Minded Safety Program. Additionally, Bike Maryland hosts dozens of business, university and community workshops through the Bike Friendly Program. We represent the hundreds of thousands of bicyclists in Maryland through our promotion of awareness and safety campaigns and the enactment of pro-bicycle legislation at the state and local level.
Recent accomplishments include:
- Passage of six state pro-bike bills in the last four years including the 3-foot law and passage of the criminal negligence/manslaughter bill
- Maryland Police Departments enforcement video to educate police on bicycle safety and laws
- Increase in the number of bicyclists (commuters in Baltimore by 51% between 2009-2012)
- Maryland Awarded #11 in the U.S for Bike Friendly Ranking
More about Bike Maryland here.