'Building Envelope Theme'
April 03, 2014
4 AIA HSW Credit Hours towards your state license
1 ADA Hour for Licensed Architects | Accessibility/ADA/Barrier-Free Design
08:00 AM Registration Begins
Morning pastries, fruit and coffee provided
8:30 – 9:30 AM (8:30 - 9:30 bg)
Incorporating Pest Barriers into the Building Envelope
Course number: IPO07A
AIA Provider: Polyguard Products, Inc.
Presenter: John Muncaster
The building envelope has proven its value in controlling energy loss and moisture.
But why not design the envelope to also act as a pest barrier? Research beginning in 2000 has
proven that there are several materials which can block termites, insects, and other pests from
entry to a structure. A tested and proven insect barrier sealant with elastomeric properties can:
1. Seal off almost all pest entry points, and 2. Stretch over the myriad gaps, crevices, and cracks
which occur in all structures from differential movement of building components. By drastically
reducing the opportunity for pest entry, there can be a significant reduction in pesticides needed
to eliminate the pests.
1. Explain the amount of pretreatment pesticides currently in use.
2. Describe the numerous ways pests enter structures.
3. Explain the interactions between state pest control regulators and building code officials in new
construction pest control considerations.
4. Discuss several new materials and design alternatives to incorporate pest barriers into the building
5. Explain three new levels of pest barriers, ranging from low to premium in cost, for specifiers to
6. Discuss LEED credits applicable to the new material and design alternatives.
9:40 - 10:40 AM (9:40 - 10:25 bg)
Surface Innovation - Redefining Boundaries of Interior and Exterior Spaces with Ultracompact Surfacing – ‘Dekton by Cosentino’
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #:COS06E
AIA Provider: InfoSpec, Inc.
Presenter: Kip Altstaetter
In this course, we explore a cutting edge surfacing technology, ultracompact surfacing. Gain insight
into how this surfacing material possesses the same characteristics of natural stone while providing
unmatched color and design flexibility.
1. Discuss the evolution of surfaces and the various types of surfacing material for interior and
2. Define ultracompact surfacing and the innovative production process that creates
intrinsically unique properties.
3. Discuss designing with ultracompact surfaces in terms color, texture, and format.
4. Discuss the advantages of compact surfaces in terms of strength, durability, chemical
resistance, absorption, abrasion resistance, and ASTM testing.
5. Identify possible interior/exterior application options with ultracompact surfacing material.
10:50 - 11:50 (10:35 - 11:55 bg)
“ACCESSIBILITY: TAS Basics 101”
The 2012 Texas Accessibility Standards - Changes that You Need To Know
One Hour – Texas Board of Architectural Examiners (TBAE) | CE No. 130226
1 HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: FCA00A
AIA Provider: Ron Blank & Associates, Inc
Presented By: Fred D. Cawyer AIA, NCARB, RAS, APA
1. Provide a general review of the 2012 Texas Accessibility Standards (TAS).
2. Discuss the TDLR-AB accessibility Plan Review and on-site inspection processes.
3. Explain the 2012 Texas Accessibility Standards - Addressing changes from the previous 1994 TAS
4. List components of mandatory compliance required since 15 March 2012.
5. Discuss TDLR-AB 2012 TAS - Technical Memorandums and photographic accessibility examples
applying the new standards.
Questions & Answers Session:
12:00 PM Lunch Sponsored by Max Rodgers with RM Rodgers, Inc.
1:00 PM - 2:00 PM (on time bg)
Densified Concrete & Densified Polished Concrete
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: CDI102
AIA Provider: Curcrete Distribution, Inc.
Presenter: Deke Rife
Learn more about the differences between densified concrete and densified-polished concrete. Identify how chemical densifiers can enhance the performance of concrete floors and the many alternatives and choices that are available on the market today. Also learn more about densified-polished concrete and how this process takes densified concrete one step further, providing all the benefits of a chemically densified floor, with an aesthetically pleasing decorative finish.
1. Identify the differences between "densified concrete" and "densified-polished concrete."
2. Identify the challenges, disadvantages of using floor coatings and membranes as opposed to
3. Identify the advantages of using chemical densifiers over floor coatings and membranes.
Identify the added benefits that polishing can add to densified concrete and the low life cycle
cost factor when compared to other types of flooring materials and coverings such as tile,
4. Learn how the process of concrete densification eliminates the need for additional applications,
and can enhance the overall performance of concrete for the life of the floors, when using the
right chemical densifier product.
This Agenda is not a final schedule, and is subject to updates, additions and changes.
When & Where
CE Academy, Inc.
The CE Academy is coming to a city near you!
Are you a design professional or spec writer in need of CE credit hours to maintain your AIA membership or state license? CE Academy, Inc. organizes 4-8 hours of continuing education in a seminar format so you can earn multiple CE hours at one time.
These AIA and/or GBCI registered courses provide education credit. CE Academy will also manage the reporting of your credits to the AIA and email you a certificate of completion for your records after the event.
Available education credits include:
>> AIA HSW CE Hours
>> GBCI CE Hours for LEED® Professionals
>> ADA Hours Accessibility/barrier-free
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For a list of accessible education and LEED webinar courses, please visit GreenCE.