Home for the Holidays
Home for the Holidays is a program allowing you to visit your high school during Winter Break to talk to students who are interested in USD about your experience as well as answer any questions they may have.
Setting up your visit
- You will need to call your high school to set up a convenient visit time. This will mostly likely be in the month of January because you will likely need to plan around the high school's winter break.
- Ask to speak with a counselor you know, or ask to be connected with the Career Center or College Counseling.
- Explain that you are a graduate of the high school, are a USD student, and are a University Ambassador. Ask to set up a time to meet with interested students to talk about the USD experience.
- If you need help getting a phone number or contact name, just let Christine know, and she will be more than happy to help.
- The Admissions Office will provide you with some materials to bring along (brochures, etc). You will need to pick this up in the Admissions Office (Serra 201) starting on December 9th, and prior to leaving campus.
“What should I say?”
This program provides you with the opportunity to share your experiences.
You may want to talk about……
- Yourself—Tell the students your year at USD, your major, your interests, etc.
- Why USD?—Students who are still in high school, especially seniors, may be feeling overwhelmed by the thought of selecting a college to attend. Share information about your college search process. This may include the schools you considered, making campus visits and why you selected USD.
- Campus life—Dorms, student activities and social life are a big part of college. You may want to talk about living on campus, what you do for fun and living in “America’s Finest City.”
- Academics—As all of you have learned, high school academics and college academics can be very different. It can be helpful for students to hear about this transition as well.
Ambassadors Club works directly with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions in helping to recruit and connect with prospective USD students.