The Hollywood Farmer’s Market is about to get even hotter with the addition of “Spice Alley,” a new extension of the market devoted to spices and bulk food items. A joint project of SEE-LA and the EaCa Alley Property Owner’s Association “Spice Alley” is celebrating its Grand Opening on Sunday, April 7, 2013 and will feature spicy foods, spicy drinks, music and spice vendors every Sunday from 10:00am-2:00pm in EaCa Alley (the new alleyway running behind east side businesses on Cahuenga Blvd. from Selma to Hollywood Blvd.). The Grand Opening celebration will include a variety of spice and bulk good vendors offering their wares, while restaurants backing the alley will present a selection of exciting spice-related food and drink specials.
“We envision ‘Spice Alley’ almost like a mini Moroccan spice bazaar attached to the Hollywood Farmer’s Market,” said David Gajda, property owner of the Café Etc. and St Felix buildings. “After a morning spent shopping at the Farmer’s Market, visitors can pick up some exotic spices to flavor their meals—then sit in one of EaCa Alley’s restaurant patios, enjoy some live music, have a spicy cocktail and try new dishes that’ll zing their palates.”
Each week, a variety of local vendors will offer the latest in gourmet salts, spices, sauces, and teas along with interesting rice, beans and grains. Vendors participating in the Grand Opening include:
- Hepps Salt Co offers an astounding selection of gourmet salts including Smoked Salts, Natural Blends, Cooking Salts, and Finishing Salts that add a little special something to any dish.
- Hollywood Star Farms spices up any meal with their selection of gourmet spiced ketchups, preserved lemons, piri-piri, Harissa, Romesco sauces and more.
- Rice & Beansis bulk foods seller based in Silverlake, specializing in 100% organic, North American grown grains, beans, pastas, flours and more.
- World Flavorz Spice & Tea Co. will showcase their full lines of exotic teas and spices from around the world in two Spice Alley booths.
- Zesty Herbs & Spices is a distinctive gourmet herbs, spice & seasoning company that will be offering original Spice Blends and Rubs.
And every week, EaCa Alley restaurants will add new menu offerings and drink specials to their great regular menus that are spicy-delicious and unusual. Restaurant specials at the Grand Opening include:
- Berlin Currywurst is hosting “Man vs. Sausage - The Famous Wurst Spice Challenge.” How much fire can you take? Try a sausage with heat level 4, finish it and you’ll get a reward of 25% off any German draft beer. Or attempt a sausage with heat level 5, finish it and your reward will be 50% off any German draft beer. * Must be 21 years or older.
- Caffe Etc. is offering a choice of two spicy drinks: Salted Caramel Latte and Black Pepper Mocha. Both can be served iced, hot or blended w/ your choice of regular, soy, almond or rice milk. They will also offer two menu items: Curry Vegan Tofu or Chicken Sandwich on La Brea bakery bread and Burrata Salad w/ organic basil and tomatoes from the Farmers Market with a hint of Himalayan pink salt.
- Couture will be using Spice Alley as a launching pad for their new restaurant component called, aptly enough, “Spice.” They will be serving Indian fusion foods with Indian Spice beers and cocktails.
- Kitchen 24will be pouring spicy-sweet Abbey Brewing Co. "Monks Wit" Beer from the Gramercy Beverage Co. and serving Smashing Pumpkin Spiced Cupcakes.
- St Felix will feature Jorge's Spicy Shrimp Taco's Especial, spicy Shrimp Tacos featuring a Morrocan spice blend sourced from the EACA Alley Spice Market with pickled pepper relish, avocado crema, salsa roja, shredded cabbage, and gouda cheese. These will be paired with Saint Felix’s Custom Signature Bloody Mary Bar featuring Chad's Hillbilly Royalty Stoli Hot Vodka, horseradish, buffalo and pepper sauce, stuffed olives, pepper jerky, peppercini, and a signature bbq chili spice rim created from Spice Alley.
- La Velvet MargaritaCantina will be serving their specialty appetizers including Turkey Empanadas with serrano chili cream sauce and Spicy Grilled Vegetable Quesadillas as well as their signature blend Spicy Jalapeno Margaritas.
Sustainable Economic Enterprises of Los Angeles (SEE-LA) is a private nonprofit community development corporation, dedicated to improving the quality of life in the City of Los Angeles. One of SEE-LA’s best-known and proudest accomplishment is the Hollywood Farmers' Market, held on Sundays, from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., on Ivar and Selma Avenue, in Hollywood. SEE-LA also operates weekly farmers markets in Atwater Village, Kaiser Permanente’s Los Angeles Medical Center (in Barnsdall Park), Central Avenue, the Crenshaw district, Echo Park, and Watts. For information on the Farmers Market or participating in Spice Alley contact Alexandra Agajanian at firstname.lastname@example.org.