Help Kids Learn To Code
Tuesday, December 6, 2011 at 7:00 PM - Saturday, December 31, 2011 at 11:55 PM (PST)
UPDATE: Thanks to the generous support of many people we raised enough to give a netbook to all 24 of our students who attended our bootcamp. It was an amazing experience to watch these students grow over the 4 days! We need your help to continue our work. Please DONATE. Your contributions will make a difference!
CodeNow is a DC grown non-profit focused on developing the next pioneers in technology by teaching underrepresented high school students foundational skills in computer programming. We do this through free, extra-curricular, off-campus trainings. On December 27 -30 we are holding our bootcamp with 30 DC area high school students. We need your help to raise $10,500 to give a netbook to each of our students. All donations are 100% tax deductible!
The Five Parts To Our Program:
1) Weekend Training: Each student selected participates in one weekend training. On Day 1, students will learn basics in programming with Hackety Hack, an open source program teaching basics in Ruby. On Day 2, using Lego Mindstorms, (robotic kits made out of Legos), students works in team to build and program robots.
2) Projects: After the weekend training students will complete online assignments and projects to hone their skills
3) BootCamp: Students will attend a bootcamp from December 27-30, during which they will receive intensive training in the programming language Ruby.
4) Netbooks: Each student who completes the weekend training and bootcamp will receive a netbook. We feel it’s important for students to be able to practice their skills. The netbook is a tool which will allow them to do so.
5) Alumni Network: All students who complete the trainings and bootcamp will be invited to join our Alumni network where they will receive mentoring, assistance finding internships, and invitations to attend hackathons and other events.
If you are a corporation interested in sponsoring our BootCamp or someone who would like to volunteer contact Ryan Seashore at Ryan@CodeNow.org
CodeNow is in the process of securing its 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status. In the meantime, contributions to our work will be processed through our fiscal sponsor the New Organizing Institute Education Fund. All donations are 100% tax deductible.
Thank you for your generosity! Without it our program would not be possible.