Too hard to find developers in town for burgeoning startups? We decided to help create the talent. We seek passionate folks interested in coding and startup culture. First we start with classes to pass on ninja skills. Top students are selected to take part in additional paid apprenticeship program working on live projects. This feeds directly into positions with companies.
The Hatchery Dev Shop is a rigorous 3-month training program that teaches students how to develop mobile apps and websites through immersion. Students attend three 3-hour workshops each week and work in teams to solve website issues while receiving training on how to find and fix software bugs. There are four 1-month sessions that make up the program. Students spend the part of each session leaning a technology through fixing issues with guidance and classes, and part of the session creating modules from scratch.
Classes are Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday (6:30 - 9:00pm) with an additional make up class/workshop Saturday (2:30 - 5pm). Holidays will be worked out with classes.
Classes limited to 30 people
At the end of the of the program, students should be able to:
o Configure and Deploy a cloud server and bring it live on the web
o Register a domain name and point it to their cloud server in less than 15 minutes
o Write HTML
o Create CSS stylesheets
o Use XCode, Eclipse, Phonegap to deploy basic mobile apps
o Set-up a database
o Create a registration and log-in system
o Use AJAX
o UPDATE, INSERT, AND SELECT to/from a MYSQL table via PHP
o Use basic linux commands to control their server
o Use documentation
o Use github
o Use subversioning tools
o Use the Agile development process to manage personal and professional project
Month 1: The Client (June 26 - July 21)
· Week 2: How to make websites cross-browser compatible. We will fix a site that works perfectly on Chrome, Safari, and Firefox but doesn’t work on Internet explorer
· Week 3: Group projects: Each group is given a simple HTML, CSS project
Month 2: The Server (July 24 - August 18)
· Week1: Deploying a server in the cloud. Each group will set-up a cloud server on Rackspace and learn how to configure Apache, FTP, SFTP, PHP, Python, MYSQL, and grant appropriate permissions. Students will also learn basic Linux & Unix terminal command lines.
· Week 2: Coding in PHP. Groups will attend classes where they will learn basic programming (variables, if statements, for loops, validation, functions, and object orientation) and then apply that knowledge to find and fix bugs in PHP.
· Week 3: Using MYSQL. Students will learn about relational database structure and non-relational structures. Students will create a simple web app that can use AJAX to connect to PHP to save and retrieve information from their database tables.
· Week 4: Group projects. Each team will create a basic registration and login portal that uses form validation.
Month 3: Agile Development + Best Practices (August 21 - Sept 15)
· Week 2: Let’s use the Agile development process to create user stories and create a sizing for a real-life simulated project
· Week 3: Let’s design and pseudo-code our application. Let’s use documentation to setup our Xcode, Eclipse, and Phonegap configuration to create our projects, and write documentation for the developer behind us. Let’s setup our subversioning system and begin using it for the project so we don’t write over each other’s code.
· Week 4: Let’s create our first full partially functional prototype, test it, and report bugs.
After the program
After the program concludes, participants that finish the course will be able to use their code-base and knowledge to create mobile and web-based applications and work as a junior front-end or back-end developer in a real project for a Hatchery startup.
Student scholarships available.
Please apply by submitting the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Paragraph on why you want to learn to code and what you will do with your new powers.
2. Provide reason for financial assistance.
3. Resume. Please list your current programming skills.
** Incomplete requests will be deleted **
Whether it’s how you work or how you play, you have something to teach too.
Put your class on Eventbrite and receive a $100 credit in your Eventbrite account.
In order to purchase these tickets in installments, you'll need an Eventbrite account. Log in or sign up for a free account to continue.