Hack for Peace in the Middle East
Saturday, February 1, 2014 at 8:00 AM - Sunday, February 2, 2014 at 8:00 PM (PST)
San Francisco, CA
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Hack for Peace
Are you a coding geek, (HTML5, PHP, Ruby on Rails, Java Script, Python, C++), problem solver, designer, or a business professional that cares about coding for a cause? Do you think you're crazy enough to change the world and believe that you can actually do it? Then this event is just for you!
In efforts to turbocharge the startup ecosystem in the Middle East, PITME, in partnership with 'Code for a Cause,' will be hosting a Hackathon to bring together 500 techies to assist us in addressing issues that exist in the Middle East. PITME is proudly uniting the San Francisco developer community to hack for a social cause. The 11 PITME Labs Squad 01 teams, representing 6 different countries along with a panel of Middle Eastern studies experts will guide the techies in an effort to make a difference.
Hack for Peace Schedule
Saturday, February 1st
- 8 AM - Check-In, registration and breakfast (1 hr)
- 9 AM - Hack for Peace Welcome Note (30 min)
- 9:30 AM - Stanford Peace Innovation Lab; Peace Tech Intro (1 hr)
- 10:30 AM - Partner API (Rackspace, BitTorrent and Wix) announcements (1hr)
- 11:30 AM - Begin Hacking
- 12 PM - Lunch
- 5 PM - Dinner
Sunday, February 2nd
- 8 AM - Begin Hacking Again/ breakfast
- 12 PM - Lunch
- 5 PM - Stop coding submit projects/ Judging begins
- 8 PM - Hackathon ends
Hack for Peace in the Middle East provides the chance for competitors to win:
- Free trip all paid 22-day tour in six cities in the MENA region for two members from the winning team.
- $24,000 in Rackspace services - $2,000 in services a month from Rackspace for 12 months.
- A total of $2,500 cash prizes from BitTorrent to winning teams that use their BitTorrent Sync API to create useful apps and services.
- A chance to demo your project at Catalyst
- Get press cover and exposure in the U.S. and the MENA region
- Network with investors and top entrepreneurs
- A premium package provided by Wix
Inspired by Sheryl Sanberg's 'Lean In' book and organization, which supports women leadership in the workforce, Salma decided to join PITME as an early co-founder and head of strategic partnerships. Primarily wroking with governments, NGOS, incubators, VCs, and Investors to create new wealth creating opportunities in MENA.
When & Where
PITME is a social impact organization that aims to turbocharge the Middle Eastern startup ecosystem by providing access to Silicon Valley resources. PITME's initiatives include: PITME Labs - a growth stage accelerator program supported by over 200 mentors in Silicon Valley, Technology in a Tent interview series, PITME Catalyst Conferences, and tailored programs for entrepreneurs and investors.