Grinders Switch Turkey Trot
Thursday, November 27, 2014 from 8:00 AM to 11:00 AM (CST)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Packet Pick up
If you would like to pick up your packet before race day we encourage you to do so. Early packet pick up will be Wednesday, November 26th from 11:00-2:00 at Four Seasons Outdoors and Sports. They are located on the square:112 Church St, Centerville, TN. Don't forget to bring your nonperishable foods and new toys.
Remember there is no entry fee. We just ask for you to bring non perishable food items or new toys to help with local charities. The Family Resource Center in Hickman County has around 500 names of children that need help this Christmas. They also collect food for the Friday Friends program. Friday Friends is a program that gives food to school children that might not get fed on the weekends. This food is given to children at school and must fit in a plastic bag. Examples of food to give are fruit rollups, crackers, microwaveable macaroni and cheese, individual bags of chips, granola and cereal bars, pop tarts, ramen noodles, peanut butter and crackers, fruit bowls.
The starting line will be on the square in front of Centerville Donuts. We will start at 8:00 with our kindergarten-fifth grade one mile runners. At 8:03 we will start the 5K and 10K. 5K will head to the Jerry Dixon Walking Trail and 10K runners will run toward Highway 50. Please be courteous and allow runners to be in the front of the line.
One mile Fun Run
The one mile Fun Run will start at 8:00 from the square and head toward the Jerry Dixon Walking Trail. Proceed right onto the trail and follow the trail until it splits. Turn left and there will be a finish line. The Fun Run is for students in kindergarten –fifth grade. Parents are allowed to run with their child. To help us with any confusion on who is running what, the fun run runners and parents will be given a wrist band. If you compete in the Fun Run you will not be eligible to win the 5K. You may still run the 5K but you are not eligible to win.
The 5K will start at 8:03. Please allow runners to be in the front of the line. The race will proceed down the hill to the Jerry Dixon Walking Trail. Turn right at the walking trail and follow arrows. Once you go through the library parking lot, turn left on W. Swan St. Turn another left onto Oak Ave. Turn right on Dickson Road. There will be a water station in the parking lot of the Town Crier. Turn right on Nixon St, left on Spring Ave, right on W. Perry, left on Oak Ave., left on W. Hackberry, right on N. Central Ave, and left on the square to the finish line.
The 10K will start at 8:03. Please allow runners to be in the front of the line. The race will proceed from the square, down the hill by the Shell station, to Highway 50. Turn right onto Highway 50 West (Minnie Pearl Memorial Parkway). Then turn right onto Grinders Switch, then turn right onto West Grinders Switch, stay right and this turns into Hickman Springs Road. Turn right onto Hwy 100 to North Central Avenue and left on the square to the finish line.
Other important info.
1. If it snows, rains, etc. will we still have the Turkey Trot? YES
2. What time does the race start? 8am
3. What time does registration start? 7 am
4. Where are the waivers you keep telling us about? You should have received one when you registered online. If you didn't there will be some at pre packet pick up and race day check in.
5. Can you hold my keys, wallet, money, purse, bag? No. We will be running around everywhere and do not want to be responsible for any missing items.
6. Can you save me a race shirt? No. First come, first serve. They will be on sale on RACE DAY for $5.
7. Can I pick up my packet early? No. Pre Packet pick up is only from 12-2 at Four Seasons. If you can’t make it then, pick up your packet on race day.
8. When do I bring my nonperishable foods/new toys? Bring them when you pick up your packet-race day or pre packet pick up day.
9. How do I get a time chip? You can pay for a time chip on pre packet pick up day or race day. Cost is $5
10. Will Elvis be there again? You will find out once you are there.
11. What do you recommend wearing? Clothes of course. (trash bags are good insulators to keep you warm until it is time to start)
12. Will there be bathrooms? Yes. There are bathrooms in the Court House that will be available and there are bathrooms at the Shell Station
13. What awards will be given? 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place to male and female in the 5K and 10K. 1st place boy and girl in one mile fun run.
14. Where do we park? Hickman County Administrative Building, Hickman County Justice Center, Hickman County Board of Education, Hickman County Health Department, Centerville Church of Christ parking lot, Centerville Methodist Church parking lot.
15. Are the races together? No. The 5K heads toward the walking trail. The 10K heads toward Hwy 50.
16. What is the race route?
5K Race Route- From the town square you will go down Hwy 100 to the Jerry Dixon Walking Trail. From the walking trail you will turn right and follow the trail all the way through the library parking lot. Then you will turn left onto W. Swan Street and left again on Oak Ave. Follow that road and turn right onto Dickson Road. You will see the Town Crier and a water station provided by Kedron Methodist Church. You will then turn right onto Nixon Street (You might see 10K runners go straight), left on Spring Ave, right on W. Perry Street, Left on Oak Avenue, Left on W. Hackberry, Right on Bank Ave (between bank and McDonald Funeral Home), left toward the finish line.
*Don't let all the lefts, and rights be intimidating. There is a couple of dead end streets and the course is well marked. Follow the orange signs.
10K Race Route- From the town square you will turn a sharp left onto Hwy 100 to Hwy 50. Turn right onto Hwy 50, right on Grinder's Switch, Right on West Grinder's Switch (turns into Hickman Springs Road and this is all down hill), Right on Hwy 100 to the square. Left to the finish line.
One Mile Fun Run Route- From the town square you will go down Hwy 100 to the Jerry Dixon Walking rail. Turn right at the square and follow the trail until it splits. Stop at the white tent.
17. Are you guys professional race directors? No. We are two women that are promoting health and exercise that represent Coordinated School Health. We strive to make the race bigger and better each year but we are not professionals so don't get too mad if we make a mistake.