In this introductory session, we won’t teach you objective-c but we will give you a high level overview of the world of iOS development and how to get involved. We’ll introduce the various tools used in making iPhone and iPad applications and discuss the new features in iOS 7. Lastly, we’ll finish up with a demo, building a simple app and illustrating some of the features in Xcode, the primary tool used in developing iOS Apps.
• No experience
• Macbook would be great, but not necessary
• Download Xcode
• Why now, with the upcoming release of iOS7, is a great time to start
• Why develop specifically for iOS as opposed to other platforms
• The tools available to iOS developers such as Xcode and GitHub
• The different types of apps and their degrees of difficulty: standalone, integration with back end, and integration with API’s
• How to create a simple app and where to go from here
Teddy Wyly is one of the co-founders of Code Coalition and a developer with iOS development agency, BitFountain. His portfolio includes engineering on a variety of iOS projects including task management and productivity, gamified learning and client work. Previously he worked for Mirai llp, a boutique startup based in Tokyo, Japan where he assisted in developing their mobile platform.
Teddy was physics major as an undergraduate at Boston College. It was there that he began pursuing technology by studying at Stanford in Silicon Valley and in San Francisco. He wrote his thesis after visiting venture capital firms and technology companies including Apple, Google and Twitter.