Getting Started with Classroom Assessment Techniques (webinar)
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 from 2:00 PM to 3:00 PM (EDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Classroom assessment techniques (CATs) are proven strategies that instructors can use to determine whether and how well students are learning course material. Instructors can then use this just-in-time feedback to inform instruction and address any gaps in learning. This seminar will demonstrate a few common CATs, including the Minute Paper, the Misconception Check, the Background Knowledge Probe, and Teacher-Designed Feedback Forms.
Led by Thomas P. Pusateri, PhD, associate director for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning at Kennesaw State University, this seminar will teach you how to:
- Evaluate CATs prior to using them to determine which ones you like and which ones you don’t
- Start simply to implement CATs in your courses so you can develop your skill and confidence
- Test-drive CATs before using them on students in your courses
- Accurately predict the amount of time you will need to carry out and respond to a specific assessment
- Share your insights with students so they know what you discover from each assessment and how you plan to use that new knowledge to advance their learning
- Select CATs that pertain to your specific course learning goals
- Identify CATs that will help you address common challenges among your students
- Choose CATs that align with the culture of your department and institution
- Incorporate your findings into your annual performance review
This interactive seminar will demonstrate a few key CATs and will incorporate participant questions and feedback directly into the seminar. Polling questions will draw attention to your unique situation, and your questions will be answered during the course of the seminar or soon after.
- See more at: http://www.facultyfocus.com/seminars/getting-started-classroom-assessment-techniques/?ET=facultyfocus:e89:337847a:&st=email&campaign=FFA140801#sthash.pRSQd9ke.dpuf
When & Where
GA Perimeter College Center for Teaching and Learning
The Center for Teaching and Learning offers opportunities for the faculty of Georgia Perimeter College to develop their teaching, service and professional activities and provides resources for reflection, rejuvenation and innovation.
Our goal is to improve the environment for learning by serving the faculty and responding to their professional needs so they can better meet the needs of their students.