YES! Its Official! Node.js Core Contributor & Evangelist Mikeal Rogers @mikeal will be the MC for tonights @gklst hackathon!
UPDATE 2: MONGOHQ AND IFIXIT HAVE JOINED TO SPONSOR AS WELL! WOO HOO! MORE PRIZES AND SWAG!
UPDATE: OVER $10,000 IN PRIZES, 6 MONTHS FREE OFFICE AT INCUBATOR INNOSPRING & A CHANCE TO GET FUNDED! Prizes keep rolling in!
Geeklist, in collaboration with our partners at Innospring, are holding their first Silicon Valley Hackathon! It's going to be kind of a big deal! We will be hosting the first Tandem US-China hack-a-thon as the launch of our G2 Hackathon initiative! (G2 = Geeklist Global)
The Meetup portion will be from 6:30 to 8pm on Friday the 4th of May, join the Geeklist Co-founders Christian Sanz and Reuben Katz, along with Innospring Managing Director, Eugene Zhang and some amazing sponsors like Klout, Joyent and more (see below) for a Meetup where we will be hosting a live meetup in China at the same time (9:30am - 11:00am China)
Then at 8:00pm the Hack-a-thon will begin and run to 6:00pm on Saturday the 5th of May.
This hackathon will be bringing together diverse hackers to create apps based on APIs including Geeklist, Klout, Spotify, Twilio, Awe.sm, Storify and Opalang. Developers can choose any language or APIs, but we suggest these and our guest judge TJ Holowaychuk, is the creator of Express, so use of Express and Node.js will be looked on favorably along with OpaLang.
The guidelines of the hackathon are: Social Good, Making Developers Lives Better and Global Communications.
Winners will get 6 months of free Desk Space at the new incubator Innospring!
There will be MANY other great prizes (including Geeklist Swag and some special tba items from our sponsors) which will be given out to winners and runner-up.
Joyent has just offered:
$1000 for first place winner (in Joyent Cloud compute)
*plus additional marketing services if you stand up an app (case study, newsletter
mention, Twitter support, invitation to present at a Joyent Meetup)
$500 for second place (similar deal - also includes same marketing
$250 for third place (similar deal - also includes same marketing
The judging at the end on May 5th will include insight and feedback from leading Investors, Developers and Entrepreneurs.
- Eugene Zhang, President of InnoSpring and Co-founder of TEEC Angel Fund
- TJ Hollowaychuck - the writer of Express, Stylus and co-founder of Learn Boost
- Ben Lin - Managing Director of Great Oaks Venture Capital and NYC Super Angel investor
- Reuben Katz, Co-founder of Geeklist
- Christian Sanz, Co-founder of Geeklist
- More TBA...
- Brian Wenmin Xin, Founder and CEO of StarryMedia
- Jeremy Chan, Co-founder of New Vision Capital and Co-founder of 新车间, a popular hackerspace in Shanghai
- Wei Han, CTO of 51TV
- Final list coming this week!
- Great Oaks VC
- More TBA this week!
- TusPark — location
- Startup Weekend Shanghai
- MDS — Mobile Internet Developer Salon
- SPC — Student Partners Corporation
- 上海市大学生科技创业基金会 (Shanghai tech organization for top universities)
- Bolaven Cafe
- More to be announced this week!
Many more great prizes and details to come!
(Can't attend? Watch the live broadcast here: http://new.livestream.com/accounts/610093)
RSVP for the meetup here on meetup.com.
Follow the event on twitter @g2hackathon