Game Design Merit Badge Workshop
Saturday, August 24, 2013 from 9:00 AM to 3:30 PM (CDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Pursuing the Boy Scouts’ new Game Design Merit Badge?
Earn it with one of the nation’s premier game design programs!
The Guildhall at SMU is offering a workshop, the first in the nation created by a game design school or university-affiliated game design program, to assist scouts in earning their Game Design Merit Badge with guidance from The Guildhall’s illustrious faculty.
- Space is limited to 50 participants.
- The cost is $25, and lunch is provided.
- Scouts should wear Class A or Class B uniforms
- The following critical documents must be downloaded and completed to attend:
Workshop activities include:
- Deliberating common game terms, including intellectual property, difficulty, balance, depth, complexity and age appropriateness, and their relation to game development.
- Discussing the various design and development careers in the game industry.
- Analysing standard game rules and how modifying rules can affect gameplay, and the player action/reaction.
- Using Paizo Publishing’s anthology board game Stonehenge to walk through the designing, prototyping, and blind testing of a game.
- Designing a new game, including defining the vision statement, medium, format, objectives, theme, play value, rules and basic game elements.
- Experiencing the game development process through prototyping, production and testing.
Completion of the following badge requirements prior to the workshop is highly recommended to prepare for the curriculum and activities, but is not a requirement for attendance:
- Read the Merit Badge Series booklet on Game Design thoroughly.
(may be purchased for download at ScoutStuff.org)
- Analyze 4 games in 4 different media and be prepared to discuss each at the workshop concerning: the medium, player format, objectives, rules, resources and theme.
- Prepare to discuss 4 types of play value and provide examples of each concept at the workshop.
We look forward to seeing you!
For more information call René Archambault at 972-473-3539.
The Guildhall at SMU
5232 Tennyson Parkway, Building 2
Plano TX 75024
When & Where
The Guildhall at Southern Methodist University
The Guildhall at SMU is one of the premier graduate digital game development programs in the US. It has over 500 students, and placed alumni in more than 140 video game studios around the world. The Guildhall offers a Master of Interactive Technology program with specializations in Art Creation, Level Design, Production, and Software Development.