Galería de la Raza's 40th Anniversary Gala Celebration
Sunday, November 21, 2010 from 4:00 PM to 9:00 PM (PST)
San Francisco, CA
Our 40th Anniversary Season comes to a momentous ending with an evening composed of legendary performance, observance of cultural icons, complimentary food and drink as well as VIP celebration all of which are hosted at the Brava Theatre Center.
The evening will begin with a silent auction and an awards ceremony honoring Sandra Cisneros, Tomás Ybarra-Frausto, and René Yañez for their worldwide contributions to the Latino community. Following, pioneer performance artist and activist, El Mad Mex Gómez-Peña (Guillermo Gómez-Peña), will present the San Francisco premier of Strange Democracy. With his signature “Chicano cyber-punk” wit, the artist addresses several issues such as the challenges that Obama is facing as well as the U.S.’s anti-immigration hysteria. The performance will include a guest appearance by writer Sandra Cisneros who is known for her contributions to The Village Voice and The New York Times, and is the author of The House on Mango Street. The evening will end with a VIP after-party with music and catering by Radio Africa & Kitchen, who will offer an exotic hybrid menu influenced by the cuisines of the Mediterranean and Red Sea countries. Following the Gala celebration all guests are invited to attend Lunada: Beyond the Bay- Fresno & L.A. with complimentary admission.
- Silent Auction
- Awards Ceremony honoring Sandra Cisneros, Tomás Ybarra-Frausto and René Yañez
- San Francisco premier of Strange Democracy, a new performance by Guillermo Gómez-Peña
- VIP after party catered by Radio Africa & Kitchen, music and gift for Amigos with Benefits attendees
- Music provided by DJ J-Boogie (Om Records, SF), DJ Guardado, and special guests
- Complimentary admission to Lunada: Beyond the Bay- Fresno & L.A. for all guests
- General Admission: $40 advance, $45 at the door. Includes performance and complimentary admission to Lunada: Beyond the Bay- Fresno & L.A.
- Amigos with Benefits: $65 - Amigos with Benefits tickets are available only until November 11, 2010. Includes performance, VIP after-party with catering and music by Radio Africa and Kitchen, drinks, special gift and complimentary admission to Lunada: Beyond the Bay- Fresno & L.A.
When & Where
Galería de la Raza
Founded in 1970, the Galería is a non-profit community-based arts organization whose mission is to foster public awareness and appreciation of Chicano/Latino art and serve as a laboratory where artists can both explore contemporary issues in art, culture and civic society, and advance intercultural dialogue. To implement our mission, the Galería supports Latino artists in the visual, literary, media and performing art fields whose works explore new aesthetic possibilities for socially committed art.