Full Day Performance Tuning Workshop
Friday, April 11, 2014 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (AST)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Microsoft Puerto Rico (Click here for a map)
City View Plaza II Suite 107
State Road 165 Km 1.2
Guaynabo, PR 00968
Full Day Performance Tuning
Presenters: Bradley Balls & Jorge Segarra
Hello Dear Potential Attendee! Welcome to your opportunity to learn all about SQL Server! Come join SQL MVP Jorge Segarra and SQL Server DBA Bradley Ball for a full day of Performance Tuning. There is a lot to cover and a lot to learn.
Jorge Segarra is a DBA-turned-BI consultant for Pragmatic Works Consulting and a SQL Server MVP. In addition to being a member of the Jacksonville SQL Server User Group, he is a Regional Mentor for PASS. Jorge co-authored the Apress book "SQL 2008 Pro Policy-Based Management" as well as the upcoming title "SQL Server 2012 Bible" and was a Red Gate Software Exceptional DBA of the Year 2010 finalist. He also founded SQL University, a community project aimed at helping people learn SQL Server from the ground up, which you can find at http://sqluniversity.org.
Bradley Ball is a MCITP 2005 & 2008 DBA with over a decade of experience. Bradley spent 8 years working as a Defense contractor for clients such as the U.S. Army, The Executive Office Of the President of the United States, and Publix Supermarkets. Currently the Data Platform Management Lead with Pragmatic Works specializing in DBA solutions, and Microsoft VTSP for the Greater North East. He has presented at many SQL Saturdays, for PASS SSUG’s, SQL Rally, DevConnections, SQL Live 360, & the PASS Summit 2011, 2012, 2013. He can be found blogging on http://www.sqlballs.com about SQL Server or anything else that interests him.
Topics included in the seminar include:
- Congratulations! You’ve got a Server – The first thing that you have to learn in Troubleshooting is how to ask the questions. We have two types of systems we will maintain. Those we see every day and those we have just discovered because of a problem that’s been brought to our attention. There are questions we ask every day when we have the luxury of time and there are questions we ask quickly to figure out what’s going on.
- Topics Covered: Baselines, Waits and Queues, Extended Events, Error Logs, DMV’s
Configuration & Best Practices
- As Consultants a lot of the problems that we see are caused because the system has not been configured properly. There are things to configure for the Hardware, things to configure for the OS, things to configure AFTER you’ve installed SQL Server. We’ll discuss not just how you should set things, but why!
- Topics Covered: Hardware (CPU, Memory, Physical Disk), Pre Configuration Checklist (Instant Database File Initialization, Service Account rights, OS Patching, Power Configuration), Post Configuration Checklist (Tempdb, Max Memory, Max DOP, Affinity, NUMA, Trace Flags).
Indexes, the Optimizer, and the Plan Cache
- When it comes to making your queries run you need to understand how SQL Server reads a query and how the Optimizer works and return our physical data. Physical data is stored in structures such as tables and indexes, and understanding how to structure tables and indexes to work with our queries is critical. But what ties the Optimizer to the physical structures is the query plan. To find the query plan we’ll dive into the plan cache and cover query tuning from A to Z.
- Topics Covered: Query Optimizer, Indexes, Page Splits, Plan Cache, Execution Plans and operators.
Locking, Blocking, Deadlocks, Latches, and Spinlocks
- This topic sounds scary, but it’s not. Regardless of whether you have a small database with only a few users, or if you have a large multi-tenant system you have Locking, Blocking, Latches, and Spinlocks. Understanding what they are and how they work is the first step in understanding how to troubleshoot them. Deadlocks are a problem, but they are a problem we can fix. In this module we will explain and investigate how to find and fix the problems that we see in our database every day.
- Topics Covered: Locking, Blocking, Deadlocks, Latches, and Spinlocks.
OTHER COURSE INFORMATION:
Food: Lunch will be provided at the event location.
Cancellation policy: no cancellations/refunds/exchanges allowed except if event is cancelled for any reason. Full payment is due at the time of registration.
When & Where
Puerto Rico Professional Association for SQL Server
Puerto Rico Professional Association for SQL Server (PRPASS) is a volunteer organization founded in 2005 with the main objective of providing a learning, networking and collaboration Information Technology (IT) users community for SQL Server professionals. PRPASS is the local Chapter affiliated to PASS, the largest community of SQL Server users in the world.