For our AUGUST Swap, we have a very special guest:
MARISA McCLENNAN of Food in Jars
Marisa will be here for two back-to-back events, a canning class and the food swap!
Spiced Plum Jam Class
Oakwood Community Center, 313 Tenth Street, Troy, NY 12180
Fee: $45 w/ $7 Materials Fee (pays for the kitchen rentals, local plums and additional materials)
Spots Available: 15 (SOLD OUT- PLEASE EMAIL FSC to be placed on mailing list!
PAYMENT WILL BE TAKEN AT DOOR BUT PLEASE REGISTER HERE
Author Event Schedule
4:30-5:15pm: Marisa will sell & sign books during the 'swap set up' time.
5:15pm: Marisa will give her talk & take questions before Swappers brouwse the tables & begin the swapping event.
5:30ish-End: Marisa will continue to mingle with guests and sell/books books as needed.
DETAILS FOR SWAPS AT OAKWOOD COMMUNITY CENTER
1) PLEASE do not show up before 4:30pm. Swap item set-up time is scheduled into the swap from 4:30-5:15pm. That said, we need ALL swap items on the table by 5:15pm.
2) IMPORTANT PARKING DIRECTIONS: Parking Lot behind church fits 10 cars (take SECOND LEFT on 9th street once off Route 7/Bridge) or you can park in the firehouse/office building parking lot across the street from church on 10th street (THIRD LEFT if coming from Route 7/787/87) or on the street: 9th, Rensselear or 10th Street.
3) The entranance to the swap is on the side of the building facing Hoosick Street- there is a light above door.
4) We are being charged to use this space. We kindly request a $2 donation per person who attends. Again, this is only a request and not mandatory. Thank you for your understanding. This money also goes to our photocopying & 'drink table' offerings.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY: TICKET POLICY
By "purchasing" a free ticket you agree to the following:
1) Bringing appropriate "to go" containers for all swap items.
2) I will bring nothing that has been canned in 2010. ALL items from the 2011 & 2012 (strawberries!!!) canning season are welcome.
The Swap: GENERAL INFORMATION
Our food swap is a place where you can trade an item you made for another item that someone else made: items are swapped 1-for-1.
You bring as many or as little items as you’d like to trade; you can bring 1-infinity of one good (X loaves of bread) or X different items (1 jar of blueberry jam, 1 loaf of bread, 1 jar of vanilla extract, 1 tomato transplant, 1 jar of granola. 2 pints of pickled beets and one jar of mustard, ect ,ect). Just remember that items are swapped 1-for-1.
You will place the items on one of the tables, grouped by item so that guests will view the goodies and write their names down if they are interested in trading with you. They will also be required to tell you what they want to swap for your item. Then the last 30 minutes of the event will be the “live action swap” where you will look on your sheet(s) to see who wants to swap with you. Then you will find those people, based on their name tags or knowing them personally already, and starting a conversation with them: “Do you wanna swap” “sure” “great”"let’s do it”…. or if you don't want what they are offering, kindly decline and move on.
The 'swap cards' are only a starting place, you do not have to swap with people on your cards or ones you've signed up for- Please make sure each swap it done FACE TO FACE with the other person agreeing to the swap!
What To Swap?
Muffins, sourdough starters, vinegar mother, infused alcohol, infused vinegar, DIY extracts, canned veg, meat & fruit, fermented items, Kombucha SCOBIES, homemade yogurt, cheese, wine, jam, pickled beets, beer, dried herbs, potted herbs, vegetable plant transplants, cookies, biscotti, backyard garden vegetable bounty, salad dressings, stocks, cookies, pies, breads, dips & spreads, meals, backyard EGGS, lip balm, soaps, salves, anything that is food, drink or a homemade lotion/balmy/soapy item is welcome.
As long as you made/grown/foraged the item, the sky’s the limit.
You can also bring items from your pantry that you can no longer use (such as due to new food allergies or intolerances or bordom): those items are NOT swapped for but instead are given for free, to a good home, to the first takers during the "silent auction" part of the program.
*Items must be on the table by 5:15pm to be eligible for the swap*
4:30-5:15pm: Sign-in, Display Goods & Grab a Refreshment
- Sign in, with your name & email address & blog address
- Display swap items & samples on the tables
- Fill out the swap cards (Name & Item Description)
We will have a refreshment bar (non-alcoholic) for your pleasure!
5:15-5:30pm: AUTHOR TALK WITH MARISA
5:30-5:45 Browse the Tables
With refreshment in hand, introduce yourself to table-neighbors & new friends and take a peek at what others have brought, eat/drink some samples and start plotting your swapping!
5:45-6:00pm “Silent Auction”
Write your trade offers on others’ tags (i.e. your name & what you’d be willing to trade)
6-6:30pm OPEN SWAP
Review your tags to see which offers have been made.
Find each other (wear your name tags) & swap away!
Take home your new artisan goods and enjoy!
If at all possible, please bring samples of your swap items.
We will be providing all the drinks.
You can always write us an email with any questions or concerns at: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our blog at www.fromscratchclub.com