San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
When & Where
NOPRA - Northwest Ohio Passenger Rail Association
Northwest Ohio Passenger Rail Association (NOPRA)
Advancing Passenger Rail for the 21st Century
Founded in 1993
· Increase public awareness, acceptance, and use of passenger rail
· Ensure inclusion of northwest Ohio in passenger rail systems
· Build a passenger rail car manufacturing industry with Ohio’s assets
The Vision is a new day for rail. New rail equipment manufacturing will create more jobs for Ohioans. Fast, frequent, modern trains will link cities, spurring new development. Toledo will be a major passenger hub, and rail upgrades will add freight train capacity as well. And fuel efficient rail will benefit air quality and ease highway congestion.
The Opportunity is for northwest Ohio to utilize its manufacturing infrastructure and skilled trades to re-invigorate the economic well being of the region and its residents.
· Significant economic benefits in spending and employment are expected due to high speed rail.
· The total level of economic benefit that high speed rail brings to a region depends on local economic characteristics. Northwest Ohio, with its strong labor force and abundance of underutilized manufacturing facilities, has the opportunity to attract labor and heavy industry.
· Employment benefits would not only be realized in jobs, but also in the kinds of jobs. From this perspective, high speed rail promises to create diverse jobs at different rungs of the employment ladder including planning, engineering, construction, maintenance, service and operations, leading to a range of potential career paths.
The Strategy is for our region to unite, to deliver one clear message. NOPRA is a strong consortium of public and private sector leaders that will carry that message.
· Provide state funds to leverage federal funding and to upgrade rail service in Ohio and Michigan.
· Provide economic incentives to attract rail equipment manufacturing to Ohio.
· Work with adjoining states to build a strong rail network.
· Make Toledo routes a top priority, to provide new north-south linkage (Detroit-Toledo-Columbus) and enhance east-west travel (Cleveland-Toledo-Chicago).
Northwest Ohio Passenger Rail Association
419.241.9155 ext. 117 - NWOhioPassengerRail@gmail.com