Idlewild’s language courses are both fun and practical, and have been recommended by Daily Candy and New York Magazine.
The classes are taught in our beautiful store, not a stuffy classroom, by dynamic and experienced native speakers. Class size is limited to 14, so everyone gets a chance to speak in every session.
Our French classes are taught by Marie Lipp, a native of France with several years’ experience teaching in New York.
Is this class for you?
Our French for Beginners course is an introduction to the French language, and includes presentation and practice of the following situations and grammar topics:
- greetings and introductions
- talking about yourself (nationality, family, profession, likes and dislikes)
- ordering in a restaurant
- months, seasons, dates and weather
- describing people and things
- travel by plane, train and bus (making reservations, buying tickets, etc)
- asking for and giving directions
- regular and irregular verbs
- feminine and masculine adjectives
- numbers and their applied use (prices, dates, years, etc)
- forming and using the simple present tense - forming and using the immediate future tense
Each of the ten lessons includes teacher presentation and student participation, including pair or group work.
About our courses
Our teachers employ a dynamic method that emphasizes grammar and vocabulary but is focused primarily on spoken profiency and oral comprehension.
The beginner, advanced beginner and intermediate courses follow a text (not included in the course price but available to students for the discounted price of around $18 including tax).
There are no make-up classes. On the first day of class, each student will receive a syllabus that lists the weekly assignments so you can keep up with your studies if you have to miss a class.
If you wish to cancel your registration, you must contact Idlewild by telephone or email at least seven days before the start date of your class to receive a refund.
If you wish to postpone your registration to a later session, you must contact Idlewild by telephone or email at least three days before the start date of your class to receive a credit toward a future session (good for one year).
Idlewild is an international bookstore with locations in Manhattan and Brooklyn.
Our language classes were named "Best of New York" by New York Magazine and are taken by more than 3000 New Yorkers every year.