Freelancing Today: Pitching, Producing, Publishing & Getting Paid
Wednesday, November 14, 2012 from 6:30 PM to 8:30 PM (EST)
You are cordially invited to attend . . .
A Panel Discussion
Freelancing Today: Pitching, Producing, Publishing & Getting Paid for Your Work
Maria Hess, Delaware Today Editor-in-Chief
Wednesday, November 14, 2012
6:30 p.m. Networking; 7 to 8:30 p.m. Program
As a writer, photographer, graphic artist, public relations consultant or other creative professional, freelancing can be a fun and profitable venture; however, freelancing is not for the faint of heart. The media world is in a constant state of flux with the rules and players changing every day – or at least it often seems that way!
On Wednesday, November 14, Delaware Press Association will host an informative and interactive panel discussion on working as a freelancer in our local market. You will learn from those who hire freelancers and also from experienced freelancers in a number of communications fields with many years of experience working in the business.
- Dr. Maria Hess, Moderator, Editor-in-Chief, Delaware Today
- Tom Byrne, News Director, WDDE 91.1 FM Delaware First Media
- Amy Cherry, Assistant News Director, 1150 AM WDEL Delmarva Broadcasting
- Mark Fowser, News Director, Delaware 105.9 FM Delmarva Broadcasting
- Karen Galanaugh, APR , Senior PR Counselor/Screenwriter, Galanaugh & Company, LLC
- Pam George, Master Freelance Writer
- Bob Yearick, Freelance Writer/Editor; Contributing Editor, Out & About Magazine
Our panelists will address some of the salient issues in freelancing:
- How do you “get your foot in the door” and gain exposure for your work as a new freelancer?
- How can you, as an experienced professional, continue to build your client list and portfolio?
- How do you craft a successful pitch to a media outlet?
- What are those who make the hiring decisions looking for in a freelancer? How can you get on their “go-to” list of freelancers?
- What are the best places to network, online and offline?
- And much more.
Join DPA members and colleagues at Woodlawn Public Library for networking and light refreshments at 6:30 p.m. and for the program on Freelancing Today at 7 p.m. The meeting is free and open to the public. Please let us know by November 12 if you’ll be coming. Guests are welcome.