Free Training: Build your first Mobile App with HTML5 and a BaaS
Daily Event: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM (PST)
Join us to learn how to create mobile apps for iOS, Android, Windows Phone or mobile browsers! We will review the important mobile features of standards like HTML5 and CSS. You will learn how to use a mobile UI framework (jQuery Mobile), how to package your app with a native bridge (PhoneGap) and how to add app features with a Backend-as-a-Service (open-source Usergrid). By the end of the workshop, we will have built a fully-featured app, ready for release on the app store, without having written a single line of server-side code!
This workshop will be comprised of a 1-hour overview of the topics and technologies, and 4 hours of hands-on coding through an example app, step by step, with plenty of time to follow along on your own computer and ask questions, and 2 hours of customization at the end with the help of the tutor.
Due to the success of our last event in LA (50 attendees and 20+ people on waitlist), we will offer 2 one-day sessions in Austin! Join us on either the Friday or Saturday: we will cover the same content on both days.
Apologies for the erroneous event date on Eventbrite indicating 9am PST — this event will start at 9am Central, of course. Unfortunately the event details cannot be changed after the first ticket sale, so I’m unable to correct the error.
8:30am: Doors open — registration and coffee
9am–noon : “Build your first mobile app with HTML5 and a Backend-as-a-Service”
- Intro HTML5 and Mobile Apps
- Building your static app (jQuery Mobile)
- Load data dynamically into your app (Usergrid)
- Make your code run as a native app on your Android or iOS device (PhoneGap)
Lunch (provided by Apigee)
1pm–5pm: “Building Social, Local or Gamification into your app”
This second session continues from the morning session, or lets more experienced users (including people who prefer to develop in another language) dive in directly.
- Adding user accounts to your mobile app
- Building social features: friends, follows and newsfeeds
- Geolocation / Gamification (2 hours, pick your own adventure block from 2 prepared training scenarios, with room to make this app your own: you can choose to add a currency system, a one-one-one messaging system, a geotargetting element, etc. — allowing you take the morning app in a number of different directions)
5pm: Demo time and drinkup! (Beers provided by Apigee)
- a basic understanding of HTML & CSS will be useful,
- some programming experience (understanding of variables, functions, HTTP, etc.) in any language.
- Please come to the training with a mobile IDE (XCode, Eclipse for Android, etc.) and the latest PhoneGap/Cordova installed — the steps are documented in these guides.
About the Instructor
This one-day training session will be taught by Tim Anglade, public speaker, former Computer Science lecturer and Head of Developer Programs at Apigee. Tim has spoken about app development around the world, from OSCON to Oredev & GoGaRuco, and met with mobile app developers from Silicon Valley to Seoul. He most recently gave this training in San Jose, Amsterdam and Los Angeles. You can find him on Twitter as @timanglade.
701 Brazos Street
Apigee makes it easy for developers to build apps, troubleshoot & update their code directly on mobile devices and scale their APIs. Learn more at http://developers.apigee.com/