San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Thanks for the support! We sold out this session in under 3 hours, so we just added an overflow session for Friday April 5th. Sign up here: http://apigee-sf2-2013.eventbrite.com/
A free one-day training course to learn everything you need to know to build your first mobile app!
As taken by hundreds of people in Austin, Amsterdam, Denver, Los Angeles, and more!
Absolutely, positively, 100% free!
Join us to learn how to create mobile apps for iOS, Android, Windows Phone or mobile browsers! We will review the important mobile features of standards like HTML5 and CSS. You will learn how to use a mobile UI framework (jQuery Mobile), how to package your app with a native bridge (PhoneGap) and how to add app features with a Backend-as-a-Service (open-source Usergrid). By the end of the workshop, we will have built a fully-featured app, ready for release on the app store, without having written a single line of server-side code!
8:30am: Doors open — registration and coffee
9am–noon: “Build your first mobile app with HTML5 and a Backend-as-a-Service”
- Intro HTML5 and Mobile Apps
- Building your static app (jQuery Mobile)
- Load data dynamically into your app (Usergrid)
- Make your code run as a native app on your Android or iOS device (PhoneGap)
Lunch (provided by Apigee)
1pm–4pm: “Building Social, Local or Gamification into your app”
We continue building our app from the morning and extend it in the direction of your choice!
- Adding user accounts to your mobile app
- Building social features: friends, follows and newsfeeds
- Geolocation / Gamification (2 hours, pick your own adventure block from 2 prepared training scenarios, with room to make this app your own: you can choose to add a currency system, a one-one-one messaging system, a geotargetting element, etc. — allowing you take the morning app in a number of different directions)
4pm: Demo time and drinkup! (Beers provided by Apigee)
- Basic understanding of HTML & CSS: tags, attributes, basic body/head structure. It may be useful for you to go through classes 1–3 of the Web course on Codecademy before coming to the training.
- Please come to the training with a mobile IDE (XCode, Eclipse for Android, etc.) and the latest PhoneGap/Cordova installed — the steps are documented in these guides. Please make sure you can launch the default (empty) PhoneGap project into your emulator: you should see the droid with the flashing green text load up correctly before you come to the training (step 5A of the Android guide, step “Results” of the iOS guide, step 5 of the Windows Phone guide). Adobe PhoneGap and Apache Cordova are the same thing, so don’t be confused by the difference (Cordova is the open-source name, PhoneGap the product name)
About the Instructor
This one-day training session will be taught by Tim Anglade, public speaker, former Computer Science lecturer, and Head of Developer Programs at Apigee. Tim has spoken about app development around the world, from OSCON to Oredev & GoGaRuco, and met with mobile app developers from Silicon Valley to Seoul. He most recently gave this training in San Jose, Amsterdam, Los Angeles, Austin and Denver. You can find him on Twitter as @timanglade.
Here’s what previous attendees have to say…
“Excellent presentation and group! A+” –c-i-e-l-o
“Shout out to Apigee for putting on a great intro to html5 mobile apps today” —@paulruescher
“Great workshop today! Left with new knowledge, great tips, a new book & a couple cold ones.......ALL FOR FREE!” —@terrance_unce
“Thanks for the great day teaching us how to build mobile apps” —@MattSobieray
“Thanks to you for the Mobile App, HTML5, PhoneGap awesomeness” —@adaptivepattern
“Tim Anglade did a great job. Apigee looks really cool.” —@barela14
“He moved at a good pace. Packed a lot in. Was good.” —@newmanw10
“Thanks to Tim for a fun day of html5 mobile apps with BaaS” —@bentuttle1
“I learned new stuff. Training was interactive. The instructor was really helpful” —Gil S., Los Angeles
“It was fantastic. Well done!” —Linh P., Los Angeles
“The material was great. The presenter knew his stuff and was interested in seeing his students succeed.” —Nate B., Austin
“Building smartphone apps was a mystery until I attended this one.” —Ved S., Austin
“I liked that individuals of diverse backgrounds and skill sets were all able to attend and learn something. Can't think of anything I disliked.” —Jeff T., Austin
“Not a sales pitch, very practical info, immediately useful” —Kye H., Austin
“I am getting smarter thanks to you and Apigee for doing events like this.” —Gregg P., Denver
For your Boss
You’re sold? Need to convince your boss? Well, just tell him about all the things you’ll get to learn in just one day!
- If you’re a web designer, you will learn how to design interfaces for mobile websites and mobile apps quickly, and even how to implement them on your own into working prototypes, allowing your to tackle your company’s mobile projects this year
- If you’re a native app developer, you will learn another way to build mobile apps, that allows your company to quickly launch projects for multiple platforms (iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, etc.) using the same codebase!
- If you’re already an HTML5 or advanced app developer, you will learn how to use a Backend-as-a-service to quickly prototype, deploy and efficiently scale your company’s mobile apps without needing a backend team to keep it running.
- If you’re a backend developer, you will learn everything you need to know about the constraints of developing & launching mobile apps, what it means for backend architectures, and how large companies with tens of thousands of employees and millions of users manager their data backends for mobile apps
- In just one day, you will learn everything you need to build real apps on your own. Past example includes: store locator, employee directory, Yelp-like app, mobile intranet, HR applicant tracker, lunch ordering system, conference app, room reservation system, and many more! Spend one day in this training and you’ll have the tools to tackle any mobile project your boss or customer throws at you.
When & Where
Apigee makes it easy for developers to build apps powered by APIs, manage and scale their APIs, and get real-time insights into their digital presence. Learn more at http://developers.apigee.com/