A free one-day training course to learn everything you need to know to build your first mobile app!
As taken by hundreds of people in San Francisco, Austin, Amsterdam, Philadelphia, Denver, San Jose, Atlanta and Los Angeles!
The course is completely free (and all the software & services we’ll be using are too — most of them are even open-source)
Join us to learn how to create mobile apps for iOS, Android, Windows Phone or mobile browsers! We will review the important mobile features of standards like HTML5 and CSS. You will learn how to use a mobile UI framework (jQuery Mobile), how to package your app with a native bridge (PhoneGap) and how to add app features with a Backend-as-a-Service (open-source Usergrid). By the end of the workshop, we will have built a fully-featured app, ready for release on the app store, without having written a single line of server-side code!
8:30am: Doors open — registration and coffee
9am–noon: Build your first mobile app with HTML5 and a Backend-as-a-Service
- Intro HTML5 and Mobile Apps
- Building your static app (jQuery Mobile)
- Load data dynamically into your app (Usergrid)
Lunch (provided by Apigee)
1pm–2pm: Make your code run as a native app on your Android or iOS device (PhoneGap)
2–4pm: Geolocation, Identity management, Security We continue building our app from the morning and extend it in the direction of your choice!
- Adding user accounts to your mobile app to control access & permissions, or add sharing features. Turn your app from the morning into an employee directory, reporting dashboard, social app or simple CRM.
- Using a hardware feature like Geolocation: how to take your simple app from the morning and turn it into a store locator, a yelp-like app, a delivery management app, etc.
4pm: Q&A and drinkup! (Beers provided by Apigee.)
- Basic understanding of HTML & CSS: tags, attributes, basic body/head structure. It may be useful for you to go through classes 1–3 of the Web course on Codecademy before coming to the training.
- A laptop with a mobile IDE (XCode, Eclipse for Android, etc.). Minimum required versions for your OS and IDE are as follows:
If you want to target iOS:
Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) or 10.8 (Mountain Lion) with XCode 4.6 and the iOS 6.1 SDK
If you want to target Android:
- Linux with latest Android Developer Tools and the JDK 6 installed
- Windows 32 or 64 bit, Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8, with the latest Android Developer Tools and JDK 6 installed.
- Mac OS X 10.5.8 or above with the latest Android Developer Tools and the JDK 6 installed.
If you want to target Windows Phone 7 or Windows Phone 8:
Windows Vista or above, with Visual Studio Express for Windows Phone (or better)
- PhoneGap/Cordova. For Android, please follow these special instructions. For iOS, Windows Phone and Blackberry, you can follow the standard guide instead.
About the Instructor
This one-day training session will be taught by Tim Anglade, public speaker, former Computer Science lecturer, and Head of Developer Programs at Apigee. Tim has spoken about app development around the world, from OSCON to Oredev & GoGaRuco, and met with mobile app developers from Silicon Valley to Seoul. He most recently gave this training in San Francisco, San Jose, Amsterdam, Los Angeles, Austin and Denver. You can find him on Twitter as @timanglade.
Here’s what previous attendees have to say…
“Great class … Opened up a new world for me.” —@wren_jon
“Awesome mobile apps training if you're looking to get a jump start with jQuery mobile and phonegap!” —@nmakiya
“Great HTML5 class today in San Fran with Tim Anglade Definitely looking forward to the advanced class next month!” —@JeffCGoss
“Shout out to Apigee for putting on a great intro to html5 mobile apps today” —@paulruescher
“Great workshop today! Left with new knowledge, great tips, a new book & a couple cold ones.......ALL FOR FREE!” —@terrance_unce
“Thanks for the great day teaching us how to build mobile apps” —@MattSobieray
“Many thanks to Tim Anglade for the awesome training on JQuery Mobile and PhoneGap. I particularly liked the RESTful API design of Usergrid” —@Luay_ca
“Thanks to you for the Mobile App, HTML5, PhoneGap awesomeness” —@adaptivepattern
“Tim Anglade did a great job. Apigee looks really cool.” —@barela14
“He moved at a good pace. Packed a lot in. Was good.” —@newmanw10
“Thanks to Tim for a fun day of html5 mobile apps with BaaS” —@bentuttle1
And more… “Excellent presentation and group! A+” — “Awesome class! The materials and instruction were just right... Perfectl actually! Thanks Tim!” “I learned new stuff. Training was interactive. The instructor was really helpful” — ”It was hands-on. We had the chance to actually build our application” — ”It gave a clear overview of technologies useful to build mobile apps.” — “The material was great. The presenter knew his stuff and was interested in seeing his students succeed.” — “Building smartphone apps was a mystery until I attended this one.” — “I liked that individuals of diverse backgrounds and skill sets were all able to attend and learn something. Can't think of anything I disliked.” — “Not a sales pitch, very practical info, immediately useful” — “I am getting smarter thanks to you and Apigee for doing events like this.“ — ”Some of the best training I've had - paid or not. Thanks for putting this on.”
For your Boss
You’re sold? Need to convince your boss? Well, just tell him about all the things you’ll get to learn in just one day!
- If you’re a web designer, you will learn how to design interfaces for mobile websites and mobile apps quickly, and even how to implement them on your own into working prototypes, allowing your to tackle your company’s mobile projects this year
- If you’re a native app developer, you will learn another way to build mobile apps, that allows your company to quickly launch projects for multiple platforms (iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, etc.) using the same codebase!
- If you’re already an HTML5 or advanced app developer, you will learn how to use a Backend-as-a-service to quickly prototype, deploy and efficiently scale your company’s mobile apps without needing a backend team to keep it running.
- If you’re a backend developer, you will learn everything you need to know about the constraints of developing & launching mobile apps, what it means for backend architectures, and how large companies with tens of thousands of employees and millions of users manager their data backends for mobile apps
- In just one day, you will learn everything you need to build real apps on your own. Past example includes: store locator, employee directory, Yelp-like app, mobile intranet, HR applicant tracker, lunch ordering system, conference app, room reservation system, and many more! Spend one day in this training and you’ll have the tools to tackle any mobile project your boss or customer throws at you.
Apigee makes it easy for developers to build apps powered by APIs, manage and scale their APIs, and get real-time insights into their digital presence. Learn more at http://developers.apigee.com/