San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
The same class is also offered in Bethesda on Wednesday 12/4
Join us for a free one-day training course to learn everything you need to know to build your first mobile app — with HTML5+PhoneGap+jQuery+Usergrid!
As taken by over 3,000 people in San Francisco, New York, Austin, Amsterdam, Los Angeles, Seattle and more!
The classes are completely free (and all the software & services we’ll be using are too — most of them are even open-source)
This class will teach you everything you need to build apps that work on (iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Blackberry, mobile browsers, etc.) we will review the important mobile features of HTML5 & JavaScipt. You will learn how to use a mobile UI framework (jQuery Mobile), how to add app features with a Backend-as-a-Service (open-source Usergrid) and how to deploy your app to devices natively using PhoneGap.
By the end of the workshop, we will have built a fully-featured app, ready for release on the app store, without having written a single line of server-side code!
- A laptop: minimum OS requirements are Mac OS X 10.5.8, Windows XP, or any linux that supports JDK6
- A working install of PhoneGap/Cordova.
If you plan to build for iOS You will need an Apple laptop (no developing from iPad of non-Apple laptops).
- Please make sure you have XCode 4 or XCode 5 installed. You can find XCode on the Mac App Store. If your laptop does not support installing XCode via the Mac App Store, please come see the instructor before the class and he will give you an older version that works.
- Please download & install the latest node.js from http://nodejs.org
- Finally, you will need to follow the installation & run instructions at http://phonegap.com/install/ (replace “phonegap run android” with “phonegap run ios” in the run instructions to try out iOS development, and install all npm packages as requested by the error messages when you run the command
- If you plan to build for Android, please follow this guide: http://j.mp/phonegap-android-guide2 — please make sure you see the PhoneGap logo in your emulator before your come to the class!
- For all other platforms, please follow the appropriate plaftorm guide in the PhoneGap docs
- 8:30am: Doors open — registration and coffee. Parking available at the GMU lot for $12.
- Intro HTML5 and Mobile Apps
- Building a mobile user interface with jQuery Mobile
- Loading live data into your app (Usergrid)
- noon: Lunch break (provided by Apigee)
- Writing live data from your app
- Package and launch your app natively on iOS or Android with PhoneGap
- Using advanced features like geolocation
- 4pm: Q&A and drinkup! (Beers provided by Apigee.)
About the Instructor
This one-day training session will be taught by Tim Anglade, public speaker, former Computer Science lecturer, and Head of Developer Programs at Apigee. Tim has spoken about app development around the world, from OSCON to Oredev & GoGaRuco, and met with mobile app developers from Silicon Valley to Seoul. He most recently gave this training in San Francisco, San Jose, Amsterdam, Los Angeles, Austin and Denver. You can find him on Twitter as @timanglade.
Here’s what previous attendees have to say…
“Great class … Opened up a new world for me.” —@wren_jon
“Awesome mobile apps training if you're looking to get a jump start with jQuery mobile and phonegap!” —@nmakiya
“Great HTML5 class today in San Fran with Tim Anglade Definitely looking forward to the advanced class next month!” —@JeffCGoss
“Shout out to Apigee for putting on a great intro to html5 mobile apps today” —@paulruescher
“Great workshop today! Left with new knowledge, great tips, a new book & a couple cold ones.......ALL FOR FREE!” —@terrance_unce
“Thanks for the great day teaching us how to build mobile apps” —@MattSobieray
“Thanks to you for the Mobile App, HTML5, PhoneGap awesomeness” —@adaptivepattern
“He moved at a good pace. Packed a lot in. Was good.” —@newmanw10
And more… “Excellent presentation and group! A+” — “Awesome class! The materials and instruction were just right... Perfectl actually! Thanks Tim!” “I learned new stuff. Training was interactive. The instructor was really helpful” — ”It was hands-on. We had the chance to actually build our application” — ”It gave a clear overview of technologies useful to build mobile apps.” — “The material was great. The presenter knew his stuff and was interested in seeing his students succeed.” — “Building smartphone apps was a mystery until I attended this one.” — “I liked that individuals of diverse backgrounds and skill sets were all able to attend and learn something. Can't think of anything I disliked.” — “Not a sales pitch, very practical info, immediately useful” — “I am getting smarter thanks to you and Apigee for doing events like this.“ — ”Some of the best training I've had - paid or not. Thanks for putting this on.”
For your Boss
You’re sold? Need to convince your boss? Well, just tell him about all the things you’ll get to learn in just one day!
- If you’re a web designer, you will learn how to design interfaces for mobile websites and mobile apps quickly, and even how to implement them on your own into working prototypes, allowing your to tackle your company’s mobile projects this year
- If you’re a native app developer, you will learn another way to build mobile apps, that allows your company to quickly launch projects for multiple platforms (iOS, Android, Windows Phone, BlackBerry, etc.) using the same codebase!
- If you’re already an HTML5 or advanced app developer, you will learn how to use a Backend-as-a-service to quickly prototype, deploy and efficiently scale your company’s mobile apps without needing a backend team to keep it running.
- If you’re a backend developer, you will learn everything you need to know about the constraints of developing & launching mobile apps, what it means for backend architectures, and how large companies with tens of thousands of employees and millions of users manager their data backends for mobile apps
- In just one day, you will learn everything you need to build real apps on your own. Past example includes: store locator, employee directory, Yelp-like app, mobile intranet, HR applicant tracker, lunch ordering system, conference app, room reservation system, and many more! Spend one day in this training and you’ll have the tools to tackle any mobile project your boss or customer throws at you.
When & Where
Apigee makes it easy for developers to build apps powered by APIs, manage and scale their APIs, and get real-time insights into their digital presence. Learn more at http://developers.apigee.com/