San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
0.3 CEUs available for this workshop for Rose State College Faculty
Dr. Mark Jones is back again--for an encore presentation of the successful workshop he originally presented last spring!!
Flipped Classroom Essentials: Strategies for Increasing In-class Engaged Learning by Moving Lecture Out-of-Class
Speaker: Mark Jones, Ph.D.
Assitant Professor, Education
East Central University
Workshop Desription: Despite repeated calls for more active engagement in learning, the in-class lecture/out-of-class homework approach has been the most feasible strategy to employ in the higher education setting, until now. In large part due to the ubiquity of high-speed Internet coupled with the increased ease of authoring multimedia as well as the abundance of online content resources, it is now relatively simple to invert when and where lecture and homework activities occur. This inverted instructional strategy is known as the “flipped classroom” and has recently been growing in popularity among higher education faculty as a way to increase in-class time for more student-centered learning activities.
Flipped instruction is a blended learning strategy that essentially “flips” the location of teacher-centered and student-centered activities. While simple in concept, there is much to consider for effectively developing flipped instruction. This workshop will help faculty to understand what flipped instruction is and how it can be applied in their courses. Upon completion of this workshop, participants will have developed an individualized flipped instruction plan that is ready for immediate implementation.
Workshop Learning Outcomes
- Understand the technical and pedagogical aspects of flipped instruction
- Explore a variety of tools and strategies for moving teacher-centered instruction (lecture) online
- Identify and evaluate online content resources that may be curated
- Examine active learning strategies to replace in-class lecture
- Identify activities and assessments that ensure learner accountability and measure learner performance
- Develop and receive feedback on an individualized flipped instruction plan
We will have a Check-In sheet using the registration list at the workshop.