First Ladies High Level Forum at UNGA
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 from 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM (PDT)
New York, NY
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Recalling on the Launch of Beijing+20 Campaign: Empowering Women – Empowering Humanity: Picture it!, and the clarion call of UN Women for year of activities around the world to mobilize governments and citizens alike to picture a world where gender equality is a reality and to join a global conversation on empowering women to empower humanity;)Africana Women Working Group at the UN(AWWG), Civil Society Legislative Advocacy Center, UNESCO Club for Global Education, First Ladies Community Initiative, Europe American Women Council and NGO Coalition, Considered it is important to hold a High level Forum at United Nations General Assembly 69th Session for First Ladies of UN Member States to discuss on the gaps, health challenges and Picture areas of concern from the Beijing +20 on Women Reproductive and Sexual Health. The Forum will also x-ray impact of communicable and non-communicable diseases impinging on human health especially on women and girls as well emphasize on the need for world leaders to renew commitment to realization of gender equality across the world, empowerment of women’s overall care and wellbeing. “The Beijing Platform for Action is an unfulfilled promise to women and girls,” says UN Women Executive Director Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka. “Our goal is straightforward: renewed commitment, strengthened action and increased resources to realize gender equality, women’s empowerment and the human rights of women and girls.”
Twenty years ago, world leaders gathered to adopt a visionary roadmap on world women and gender equality tagged as the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action. This conference pictured a world where women and girls had equal rights, freedom and opportunity in every sphere of life.
The Beijing Declaration laid out actions to address 12 critical areas of concern for women and girls across the globe. Governments, the private sector and other partners were urged to reduce women and girls’ poverty, ensure their right to access education and training, safeguard their health including their sexual and reproductive health, protect women and girls from violence and discrimination, en-sure that technological advances benefit all, and promote their full and equal participation in society, politics, and the economy.
Supporting the resolutions of the Beijing +20, World leaders in year 2000 came up with eight Millennium Development Goals which noted remarkably the overall concerns on world women and girls.
In 2010, a UN Agency for women and girls, the UN-Women was created with the mission on gender equality and empowerment of women, in all these reportedly, progress has been accessed and made in the past two decades on the critical areas that had stood the test of time on world concerns on women and girls. Yet equality of women with men is yet far achieved, women’s health across the globe had stood to experience challenges, gaps and remains unfinished. The journey to health for all women and girls remains uncompleted twenty years after Beijing women Conference.
Following this recognition, UN Women recently launched a campaign to re-energize the vision laid out at the Beijing Women’s Conference with the goal of calling for renewed commitment, strengthened action, increased resources to realize gender equality, empowerment of women and human rights.
The lunched campaign Empowering Women – Empowering Humanity: Picture It! has again rekindled the world focus on the necessity to picture those decision of Beijing Declaration and Platform of Action by world leaders in 1995 to actual reality.
As the UN Agenda considers the next line of development for the world on Post 2015 Sustainable Development Agenda, there calls for a committed review and reflection on Beijing +20 for Women’s health and empowerment with significant consideration to peace, security for all women and girls in contribution to the Post 2015 Sustainable Development Agenda.We deemed it necessary to bring to discussion at the 69 Session of the General Assembly, a High Level First Ladies Forum on the theme: “Beijing+20, Women’s Reproductive and Sexual Health, Picture it!”The significance of this forum at UNGA69 is to bring to UN Assembly of world leaders that women’s reproductive and sexual health, peace, security, empowerment of women and realizing gender equality must be given adequate priority if the world should advance globally.
The High Level Forum will focus on the following;
1. Picturing Beijing +20 declaration on Women’s Health
2. Picturing First Ladies Agenda on Women's health, Empowerment and Gender transformation
3. Strategies for Achieving Global health for all Women and Girls
4. Sustainable Development Agenda: A New Dimension with Integrative Solidarity
5. The Turning Reality: Picture It
The outcome from the Forum will in achieving the following objectives
1) Review the Beijing Declaration on Women’s health and picture the successes, achievements and challenges from office of First ladies, identify best practices and models for building initiatives on women’s health in achieving global stability;
2) Picture capacities of office of First ladies on empowerment of women and humanity in picturing health for all women and girls in development and transformation;
3) Promote education for empowerment and health in building support services to women's health across the globe, from the grassroots;
4) Develop operational manual to serve as recommendation to UN Women, UNFPA, office of the Secretary General on Every Woman Every Child, World Health Organization on women’s health and empowerment in picturing reality and overcoming gender disparities;
5) Provide further action to Post 2015 Sustainable Development Agenda and ensure as in the words of UN Women” Together we must achieve equality between women and men.
There is no time to waste, Time is now!
For more informaion , you can contact the organizers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please register and send details of your registrtaion to email@example.com. Come with your printed paper ticket. Donations will be appreciated.Thank you.