Field to Fork: Food Worker Justice Panel & Reception
Tuesday, April 8, 2014 from 4:30 PM to 7:00 PM (PDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Come to this exciting panel focused on workers organizing for justice in the food chain!
- Edwin Cisco, general secretary of the Firestone Agricultural Workers Union of Liberia, will speak about his union's organizing efforts with workers on palm oil-producing plantations in his country (did you know that palm oil is in much of the food we eat?).
- Mark Lauritsen, International Vice President and Director of Food Processing, Packing, and Manufacturing Divison of the United Food and Commercial Workers International Union
- Woong Chang, founding worker member of the Restaurant Opportunities Center (ROC) of D.C. and a board member of ROC United
- Tiffany Beroid, a worker leader of OUR Walmart
The panel will be moderated by the International Labor Rights Forum (ILRF) and followed by a reception with light food and drinks.
This event is a joint fundraiser for the Firestone Agricultural Workers Union of Liberia and the Food Chain Workers Alliance, a national coalition of unions, workers centers, and advocacy organizations throughout the food system. ROC United and ILRF are both founding members of the Alliance
Thank you to our host committee:
- Andy Banks, Deputy Director and Campaign Director, International Brotherhood of the Teamsters
- Silvia Fabela, organizer, UFCW/OUR Walmart*
- Pat O'Neill, Executive Vice President, United Food and Commercial Workers International Union*
- Kathy Ozer, Executive Director, National Family Farm Coalition*
- Lorette Picciano, Executive Director, Rural Coalition*
- Steve Savner, Director of Public Policy, Center for Community Change*
And thanks to our sponsors: United Food and Commercial Workers International Union, United Steelworkers of America, & the Praxis Project
Thank you to the AFL-CIO for providing the space, food and drinks, including union-made wine and beer, for this event.
If you cannot afford the $25 suggested donation, please email us to RSVP and you can donate whatever amount you can at the door: info [at] foodchainworkers.org. You can also make a donation at the door.
* organization listed for identification purposes only
When & Where
Food Chain Workers Alliance
is a national coalition of worker-based organizations whose members plant, harvest, process, pack, transport, prepare, serve, and sell food, organizing to improve wages and working conditions for all workers along the food chain.
The Restaurant Opportunities Center of Los Angeles is a local restaurant worker center that builds power and voice for restaurant workers in three major ways: workplace justice campaigns, promoting the high-road to profitability, and research & policy work.