Fast Track to Scala
Monday, September 3, 2012 at 9:00 AM - Tuesday, September 4, 2012 at 5:00 PM (CEST)
Course Description and Objectives
This two-day course, designed by Martin Odersky, the creator of the Scala programming language, and Heiko Seeberger, a recognized Scala expert, will give you an excellent grounding in Scala.
It is intended to enable developers or development managers, who are experienced programmers in Java or other production languages like C++, C# or Ruby, to confidently start programming in Scala. No previous knowledge of Scala is assumed. Although intense, the course ensures you will have a solid understanding of the fundamentals of the language, the tooling and the development process as well as a good appreciation of the more advanced features. If you already have Scala programming experience, then this course could be a useful refresher.
After having participated in this course you should
- be a competent user of Scala constructs in application code
- know and be able to apply the functional programming style in Scala
- know how to use the fundamental Scala tools
- be confident to start using Scala in production applications
The presentation will frequently be mixed with hands-on exercises that give you a good opportunity to try what you have learnt and a chance to clarify your understanding. Therefore it is necessary that you bring your notebook with Java 6 installed.
- First steps in Scala
- OO basics
- Collections and functional programming
- For-expressions and for-loops
- Inheritance and traits
- Pattern matching
- Dealing with optional values