The Space Shuttle Discovery has arrived! Why drive to the Smithsonian Udvar-Hazy Center and pay $15 to park when you can ride? FABB is hosting a social ride to give WABA members a chance to share ideas about transportation cycling while enjoying a leisurely ride through Oak Hill neighborhoods. We will ride 6 miles to the museum, lock up our bikes and spend 1 hour enjoying the museum. Afterwards we’ll ride 6 miles back to Reston under a stream valley viaduct. WABA Members only (due to insurance reasons). Helmets are required.
Date: 5/5/2012 at 9 am
Rain Date: 5/6/2012 at 9 am **Rain date will be announced by 7am on ride day. Look for an email and in our events page.
About the Ride:
- Riders will depart at 9am from the Reston South Park & Ride. The ride is a combination of neighborhood streets (on-road), multi-use trails and a short section of 4-lane road near the Museum. We will cross a stream (1-2 inches over concrete) at a fair weather crossing.
- The ride is about 12 miles round trip
- We will stay at the museum for an hour before heading back to Reston. There are U-racks to lock your bike. Admission is free.
- This is a no-drop social ride at a 10-12 mph pace... no lycra or road bikes needed.
- The ride is for adult WABA Members. Children 14-18 may participate if they are accompanied by an adult WABA member.
- FABB will provide Ride Marshals for the ride
What to Bring:
- Your bike or trike
- Helmet (required no exceptions)
- Lock to secure your bike at the museum
- WABA membership number
- Water and a snack, sunscreen
- Cash for purchasing drink, food or souvenirs at the museum.
How to Get There?
The Reston South Park & Ride is located at 2531 Reston Parkway. It's at the terminus of the Lawyers Rd. bike lanes. You can get there via Soapstone and Lawyers Rd. bike lanes or via Reston's trail system. There is car and bike parking at the Park & Ride.