Course Summary: For our November meeting, we will have two different compelling topics and speakers.
Our first topic is enterprise risk management. Jason Plummer, ERM Director at PwC, will discuss ERM concepts and leading practices; a case study will be conducted to help the attendee apply the information learned.
Our second topic will be "The Seven Deadly Sins of Internal Audit", which will discuss common pitfalls to success as an internal auditor and how to avoid them, with the focus being primarily on "soft skills" unique to internal audit. This will be taught by Michael Bechara, a professional speaker who has spoken at several other IIA Chapters, and Holly Vavrek, the Director of Internal Audit at Noranda Aluminum.
See "Course Detailed Descriptions" below for an outline of both topics.
- Jason Plummer, CPA CIA, Director of ERM National Practice, PwC
- Michael Bechara, CPA, Managing Director & Professional Speaker, Granite Consulting Group
- Holly Vavrek, CFE CPA, Director of Internal Audit, Noranda Aluminum
Time: 8:30 AM – 5:00 PM (registration begins at 8:00 AM); lunch is included
CPE Credits: 8
Course Detailed Descriptions:
- Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) Basics
- Leading Practices in ERM/ Common Pitfalls
- Risk Reporting and Metrics
- Case Study
The Seven Deadly Sins of Internal Audit:
- Introduction to The Seven Deadly Sins - Value and Fit
- 1. Ineffective Planning
- 2. Being Self Centered
- 3. Losing the Truth
- 4. Ineffective Communication
- 5. Failing Political Science
- 6. Inability to Negotiate
- 7. Destroying Credibility
- Conclusion - The Seven Virtues