EL Wire with Becky Stern - Materials Included
Saturday, August 4, 2012 from 7:00 PM to 9:45 PM (EDT)
New York, NY
Learn to use EL wire to make light-up clothing and accessories in this hands-on workshop with Becky Stern, director of wearable electronics at Adafruit Industries. Bring a bag, stiff hat, jacket, pair of shoes, BIKE or other item to adorn with EL wire. Each student will receive an EL starter pack from Adafruit plus extra goodies. Tools, sewing supplies and adhesives will be available for use. No prior experience necessary, and you will walk out of the class with a working EL project.
To learn more about what fun you can have making things with EL wire and tape, check out this playlist on YouTube.
Just in time for Burning Man, this class can jump start your outfit! Leave class ready for the Playa.
First Becky will demonstrate common techniques for working with EL wire, tape, and panel. Then you will design a project that adds EL wire to the item at hand-- anything from a bicycle to a pair of sunglasses. It's important to remember to bring an item to mod/illuminate. Bring multiple things if you're not sure what will work best.
The rest of the class time will be used to start construction on your project. If it requires soldering or other special treatment, we'll try to get all those bits done during class so it's easy to finish at home.
At 9:30 we can all attend Adafruit's weekly project show-and-tell via Google+ and show off our projects.
You have two options in EL materials: wire or tape. EL wire is like a spaghetti noodle of light, and EL tape is a long flat band that is illuminated on one side.
EL wire starter kits include:
- 2.5 meters (over 8 ft) of high-brightness, long-life EL wire. 2.5 meters is the maximum amount for the pocket driver - it is cut and soldered so it's ready to go!
- Pocket EL inverter runs on 2 AA Alkaline batteries (included)
- 2 inches of heat shink, both 1/8" and 1/4" for protecting the EL wire after soldering if you end up wanting to change the wire up
- 2 inches of copper tape, used when soldering EL wire
- 2 inches of foam tape, we use this to pad the inside of the inverter to quiet it down
- Available in aqua, blue, green, white, orange, red, yellow, and pink
EL tape starter kits include:
- 1 meter long x 1 cm wide EL tape strip
- Portable 4xAAA inverter powerful enough to drive a full meter of strip
- 4 x AAA alkaline batteries to power the inverter and tape for 10 hours
- Available in aqua, red, white, blue, and green
The EL wire is better for doing lots of edging or fine lines, the tape can really only be in straight lines and is better for less flexible applications. Please note your kit and color selection upon checkout- one kit per person.
$35 materials fee + $80 class fee ($40 for members) - registration open until noon on the day of the class
Dress for the weather. The shop is as cold as is it outside or as hot. Bring bug spray, BYOB, and prepare to get dirty. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register with a gift certificate.
When & Where
The Madagascar Institute is an art combine in Brooklyn that specializes in large-scale sculptures and rides, live performances, and guerilla art events.