Education Summit 2014
Friday, September 12, 2014 from 8:15 AM to 3:00 PM (PDT)
Mountain View, California
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Friday, September 12th, 2014
Microsoft Silicon Valley
8:15 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Follow this event on Twitter!
The Silicon Valley Leadership Group's annual Education Summit brings together
industry executives, education leaders, policy makers, and elected officials to learn from leaders influencing our educational ecosystem and to actively engage in conversations about regional efforts, innovative programs, and game-changing policies that help shape the pre-K through higher education systems here in Silicon Valley.
THIS SUMMIT IS SOLD OUT!
Like last year, this year's Summit has reached capacity and there are no more tickets available. This also means that no tickets will be sold at the Summit.
Richard Barth: President and CEO, KIPP Foundation (Speaking at 9:15 a.m.)
Dr. Maria Klawe: President, Harvey Mudd College (Speaking at 2:45 p.m.)
Thanks to Microsoft's generous contributions, we will be holding a drawing for the following prizes:
$100 Giftcard to the Microsoft Store
$50 Giftcard to the Microsoft Store
~ Summit Program ~
8:15 a.m.: Registration & Breakfast
Sponsored by Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company
9:00 a.m.: Welcome & Introductions
- Aditi Goel: Senior Director of Education Policy, Silicon Valley Leadership Group
- Sid Espinosa: Director of Technology and Civic Engagement, California, Microsoft
9:15 a.m.: Opening Keynote
Sponsored by Comcast
Keynote introduction by Mary Stutts: Vice President, External Affairs, Comcast California
- Richard Barth: President and CEO, KIPP Foundation
9:30 a.m.: Paving the Way for a 21st Century Workforce
Sponsored by Tech CU
Moderated by Eva Sage-Gavin: Vice Chair, Skills for America's Future Advisory Board, The Aspen Institute; former EVP of Human Resources and Corporate Affairs, Gap Inc.
- Christina Allen: Director of Product and head of Higher Education Initiatives, LinkedIn
- Lori Harnick: General Manager, Citizenship and Public Affairs, Microsoft
- Cecily Joseph: Vice President of Corporate Responsibility & Chief Diversity Officer, Symantec
- Lisa Reckis: Director, University Talent, Adobe
10:30 a.m.: Networking Break
Sponsored by Synopsys
10:45 a.m.: Breakout Session
Please select one of the following sessions to attend
1) Pipelines and Partnerships for 21st Century Learners
Moderated by Ana Tintocalis: Education Reporter, KQED, The California Report
- Anne Campbell: County Superintendent of Schools, San Mateo County (Big Lift)
- John Colborn: Director, Skills for America's Future, The Aspen Institute
- Meera Mani: Director, Children, Families, and Communities Program, The David and Lucile Packard Foundation
- John Porter: Superintendent of Schools, Franklin-McKinley School District (East Side Alliance)
2) The 2014 Policy Landscape
Sponsored by Synopsys
Moderated by Dennis Cima: Senior Vice President, Policy, Silicon Valley Leadership Group
- Assm. Joan Buchanan: Member, California State Assembly (D-16) and Chair of Assembly Committee on Education
- Mike Kirst: President, California State Board of Education
- Ted Lempert: President, Children Now
- Assm. Kristin Olsen: Member, California State Assembly (R-12) and Vice-Chair of Assembly Committee on Education
- Jay Banfield: Founding Executive Director, Year Up Bay Area
- Georgette Bhathena: Northern California Relationship Manager, Global Philanthropy, JP Morgan Chase & Co.
- Christopher Cabaldon: Executive Director, Linked Learning Alliance
- Judy Miner: President, Foothill College
- Vito Chiala: Principal, Overfelt High School
Sponsored by Lam Research
Redesigning Low-Performing Schools: Districts and Charters Working Together
- David Welch: President, Infinera and President & Founder, Students Matter
1:40 p.m.: Preparing the 21st Century Graduate
Sponsored by HP
Moderated by Carl Guardino: President & CEO, Silicon Valley Leadership Group, and Rosemary Turner: President, UPS Northern California
- Brice Harris: Chancellor, California Community Colleges
- Janet Napolitano: President, University of California
- Timothy White: Chancellor, California State University
2:45 p.m.: Closing Keynote
Sponsored by Intel
- Dr. Maria Klawe: President, Harvey Mudd College
3:00 p.m.: Concluding Thoughts
Carl Guardino: President and CEO, Silicon Valley Leadership Group
Tech Corner and Nonprofit Participants
Thank you to our sponsors!
No cancellations-- Substitutions are welcome!