San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Mary Francis will be leading.
Weather and Cancellation Policy:
Should we need to cancel the trip, we will do so by 7am on Saturday morning. Jim will notify everyone by e-mail. Possible reasons to cancel would be heavy rain or major snow storm.
This is a new event for Pack 101 and our goal is to make some toys to donate to Dakin Pioneer Valley Human Society.
As always this event is dog freindly, but your dog must be dog and human friendly as I am sure the dogs will be roaming the room as we create some great toys
We are asking for a cash donation to cover the costs of the material. $5.00 to $10.00 would be great. Can be paid at the door.
When & Where
Adventure Dogs USA & Jim Helems' Dog Pals
Jim Helems life is all about dogs. He currently shares his home with his wife, son, four Austrailian Shepherds and two cats.
Our Training Philosphy
I strongly believe that the relationship with your dog can be as strong as any human to human relationship can be. In such, I believe the training between you and your pal should include:
- Bonding Games
- Building trust between you and your pal
- Mental games for your dog
- Physical games for strength building
- Socialization, to make your friend comfortable in our strange and noisy world
- Recall Training (come when called)
- And most importantly, training should be fun for both partners; human and canine alike. If either of you are frustrated or the training feels like work then the training will not be as effective as it should be.
Jim has been training dogs all his life, but after retiring from the U.S. Air Force, (Field Medic), he started working with dogs in Behavior Modification, Dog Sports and in basic dog training skills (from puppies to adults)
But Pyro, one of Jim's dogs has helped him learn more than any formal training class could ever do. Pyro is an Australian Shepherd, a herding breed, that has dog to dog issues, hyper anxiety levels and is hyper vigilant. Jim wanted to help him to live in our human world and in this effort he traveled, with Pyro throughout the U.S. working with some of the best trainers in the U.S.
Some of this training included your basic dog dog training techniques but also included:
- Dog working camps
- Clicker training
- Dog Comminicators
- Dog Reiki sessions
- Holistic Methods (Food modifications)
- And more
Although Pyro is not cured he is now living comfortably in our human society and travels wih Jim to Adventure Dogs USA events, Dog Parks, seminars and more.
This experience can know help you with your dog behavior and training needs.
- APDT Canine Life and Social Skills Evaluator
- Adventure Dogs USA Founder
- Good Canine Citizen (CGC) Evaluator
- Certified Dog Trick Instructor
- Licensed Master Pet Tech Pet First Aid and CPR Instructor
- Certified American Red Cross Pet First Aid and CPR Instructor
- Therapy Pets Unlimited Evaluator
- Service Dog Trainer for "Train A Dog - Save A Warrior"
- Certified K9 Fit Trainer
- Leave No Trace Master Instructor
- Massachusetts Certified Animal Control Officer
- Massachusetts Pilot/Animatch Evaluator
- Appalachian Mountain Club Hike/Backpack and Canoe Leader
- Licensed Presenter for Dogs and Storks
- Presenter for "Be A Tree" Dog Bite Prevention programs
- Reiki Level 2
Other Affiliations and Experience:
- Member of The Association of Pet Dog Trainers
- Past Troop Leader Dog Scouts of America Troop 211
- Radio host of Canine Conversation
- Team Leader All-Star Performance Dog Team
- Training Leader Hampshire Emergency Animal Response Team (H.E.A.R.T.)
- Member State of Massachusetts Animal Response Team (SMART)
- Member Berkshire Disaster Response Team (BDART)
- Member Central Massachusetts Disaster Response Team (CMDART)
- National Responder for the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW)
- National Responder for the American Society of Prevention Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA)
- Volunteer at Dakin Pioneer Valley Humane Society (Vet Clinic)
- Volunteer New Spirit 4 Aussie Rescue