San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Try Oculus VR and meet our speakers from Fox Studios, WME, Oculus Story Studio founder and local VR developers and filmmakers at our first Virtual Reality event, teaming up with the LADMUG! This event includes a panel with local VR experts, and a demo area where you can try on VR goggles with demos from VR developers from Santa Monica to Pasadena and Orange County. We will be at the new Marina del Rey Hotel, with gorgeous views of the marina. The panel will be VR livestreamed by VR LIVE.TV. Several speakers also participated in the much-buzzed about VR New Frontier lounge at Sundance.
5:30-7p Check in and Networking and Demos. Park $5 valet on your own in the Marina Del Rey Hotel parking, walk in the hotel and veer right to the lawn patio for check-in and get VR pics on the lawn before sunset. Enjoy happy hour specials on your own in the SALT restaurant 5-7p.
7-9p VR Demo Arcade: Try Oculus and other VR in the Edgewater Room, avalible during both panels
7-8p VR Developer Panel in the Regatta Room
8-9p VR Storytelling and Filmmaking in the Regatta Room
9p+ Post Networking and cocktails on your own at the Salt restaurant
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: If you'd like to help volunteer checkin 5:30-7p for free admission, email firstname.lastname@example.org with VOLUNTEER as subject.
7-8p: VR INDUSTRY UniVRsity / DEVELOPER PANEL: What are the various types and platforms in VR? How big is the industry? Who's using it? What are trends and advancements in the VR platforms and systems? Beyond headset goggles, what are other accessories to enhance the VR experience, from standing / running / flying accessories to VR sound, immersive video, VR livestreaming, simulation, and more.
- Moderator: Jon Cody, TV4 Entertainment, CEO. TV4’s mission is to program your passion with great storytelling on every screen, anywhere. TV4 Entertainment programs and super-distributes genre-specific broadband television channels in categories that attract intensely passionate, worldwide audiences that are poorly served by traditional television. @TV4
- Jeffrey Greller, William Morris Entertainment. Develop and lead VR strategy for WME-IMG. Signed Otherworld. Signed Total Cinemas 360 specializing in Live-Action 360 VR Content, took leadership role in developing WME-IMG's first VR group, organized strategic partnerships at Oculus Connect & Proto Awards
- Heiner Lippman, VRLIVE.TV, CEO. VRLIVE.TV is a Malibu baed VR livestreaming network which creates and broadcasts VR / 360 entertainment, sporting, conferences, and concerts like at the Roxy on Sunset Strip, and other events. @VRLIVETV
- Shannon Gans, New Deal Studios, CEO. Shannon has produced feature films, web content, virtual reality for theme parks and now two cinematic virtual reality shorts with JauntVR, and recently demoed at the Sundance New Frontier VR lounge. She has worked on visual effects on more than 150 of the biggest films and commercials in the past 20 years including Oscar-nominated Interstellar. @shannongans @newdealstudios
- Jonathan Hawkins, White Elk Studio, Founder. White Elk Studio is a new VR development studio. Jon has 11+ years of AAA design experience. USC Computer Science graduate. Former Lead Level Designer at Sony Santa Monica. Shipped Games: God of War 1, 2, & 3. New IP development. Founder of the GameDevDrinkUp a world wide networking event for game developers. @whiteelkstudio @jonathanhawkins
- Jacki Morie, All These Worlds. All These Worlds creates purposeful virtual worlds for health, training, art and other meaningful experiences. Major contract with NASA to develop virtual worlds for long duration space flight missions to provide future astronauts relief from the social and psychological isolation such missions entail. Collaborator US Army Medical Command study to determine if Mindfulness (MBSR) classes delivered through virtual worlds are as effective as in physical locations.
- A.J. Campbell, VRSFX, Founder. AJ was inspired to create 3D audio for 360-degree virtual reality experiences after seeing Beck’s Hello Again concert experience. He noticed the microphone rig in that experience and decided that he could write software to create a fully 360-degree, binaural experience with the right microphone hardware. VRSFX is the most efficient 3D audio method on the market by a factor of 10, and at RocketSail our goal is to enable non-developers to create anything in virtual reality.
- Patty Rangel, METAVERSE Productions, VR Producer developed holographic-like projection, telepresence for Avatars, and Mixed-Reality for upcoming TV show "Rockstar Avatar", R&D of Multisensory Systems (Scent technology) with Brain-Computer Interface and Oculus Rift, R&D for Content Creation for Retinal Displays and Simulation Based Learning
- Matthew Gratzner, Visual Effects Supervisor. Matthew is pioneering immersive cinematic Virtual Reality storytelling by creating and directing some of the first cinematic, narrative content as co-founder of New Deal Studios. He presented "The Mission" at the Sundance New Frontier VR panel and lounge. Matthew has worked on feature-film visual effects work, and directed numerous commercials over the last decade. Matthew received an Emmy nomination for his work on the Tom Hanks/HBO miniseries "From the Earth to the Moon" and a BAFTA nomination for best visual effects for "The Aviator." @MatthewGratzner @TheMissionVR
- Alex Rosenfeld, Vrideo, CEO Founder. Vrideo is a stealth virtual reality start-up building a discovery and distribution platform for the future of entertainment. Founded by repeat entrepreneurs, one a Harvard Business School alum and the other the former Lead Engineer at ZEFR, Vrideo is backed by leading media-focused venture capital firms in Los Angeles and New York. @vrideo
8-9p: VR STORYTELLING AND FILMMAKING: How do you tell your story in VR for a movie or game? What's different compared to regular filmmaking or game play: create a world and let viewers find their own story, or direct the story? What genres or types of stories are well suited for VR compared to film or game. What are cutting edge story telling projects. How do you educate traditional filmmakers and game makers about the power and uses of VR?
- Moderator: Kevin Winston, Digital LA, Founder / CEO. @DigitalLA @kevinwinston
- Ted Schilowitz, Futurist 20th Century FOX Ted Schilowitz was first employee and founding member at RED Digital Cinema and Co Founder of G-Tech. His current roles are as Futurist for 20th Century Fox, where he works directly with chief Fox studios executives the next generation of visual storytelling, such as the Wild VR experience that premiered at CES and Sundance this year. In his role as CinemaVangelist at Barco he’s been spearheading the Barco Escape cinema project, that adds immersive right and left screens to movie theaters. Barco Escape launched with the Fox movie The Maze Runner last year and is now green lit for Maze Runner 2, Scorch Trials and the upcoming Lady Gaga/Tony Bennet concert in the Escape format @VirtualTedS
- Eugene Chung, Penrose Studios, Founder; co-founder of Oculus Story Studio. Eugene is a founder of Penrose, a studio focused on augmented and virtual reality. He is a film director and producer who studied at NYU Tisch and at Harvard Business School, where he was a Baker Scholar. Eugene was the Head of Film & Media at Oculus VR, which was acquired by Facebook. He served as Executive Producer for Lost, the first VR narrative production by Oculus Story Studio. @eyc
- Brandon Zamel, Springbok Entertainment, Founder and CEO. Springbok Entertainment is a production company with a strong emphasis on VR and immersive story telling. Previously, Brandon led digital and interactive content at Infinitum Nihil, Johnny Depp’s production company, working closely with studio partners such as Disney, Warner Bros and GK Films. Brandon has over 12 years of experience blending the worlds of digital and entertainment across various arenas, including feature films, television, music, live performances and marketing. @springbokvr
- Morris May, Specular Theory, CEO and Founder.Specular Theory is a VR content creation studio and technology lab based in Venice Beach, CA. His VR film, "Perspective; Chapter 1: The Party" recently premiered at Sundance and was one of the most talked about virtual reality experiences of the festival. BuzzFeed said "The Party" was "One of the most inventive projects at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival..." WIRED said it's "The most thought-provoking piece at New Frontier...". Morris has been a Hollywood visual effects expert for more than 25 years, working on 30+ films including two Academy Award winners: Spiderman II and Happy Feet. @speculartheory
- Ian Forester, VRPlayhouse, Co-Founder. VRPlayhouse's 360 Burning Man video made some top ten lists last year for immersive video, with more projects in production right now.
- Ben Miller, Wemo Labs, Lead Designer and Senior Project Manager. Ben focuses solely on the development of VR experiences and platforms. He was experience director on WemoLab's first VR release theBluVR for the Gear VR device (currently highest rated VR experience on Oculus Store). He has spoken at a variety of conferences on a number of topics related to VR including workshops on how to build VR experiences, the state of VR in general, etc. @wemolab
- Michael Murdock, Otherworld Interactive, Co-Founder and Creative Director. Otherworld has released seven VR games and experiences including a Music Video, a Haunted House, and an Arcade Game and we have over 75,000 downloads of our projects. Team members have worked for Oculus, Microsoft Research, and Intel for immersive media design.
DEMO TABLES. Experience their VR: put on goggles and explore new worlds in the demo table area:
- Virtual View Productions, Stuart Gallop. Virtual Worlds Productions is a new LA and Bristol, UK based immersive entertainment company that specializes in the development and production of filmed series and gaming content for Virtual Reality platforms. It recently secured actor Lance Reddick for a major role in its filmed VR content and will announce a video game actor who starred in The Last of Us and is due to star in Uncharted 4. @VVPVR
- Eddie Lee, Funktronics Labs, Founder / President. Funktronic Labs recently released a VR (Oculus + LEAP) product called Collider, an audiovisual experience using the LEAP Motion (and Oculus Rift, optional) where you travel through a psychedelic supercollider use 3D motion controls and gestures to warp your face with generative visuals and dynamic sounds.
- Wemo Labs, Ben Miller. Wemo Lab's story spans across visual storytelling, design, technology and media. Most of all, they are developing the language of storytelling within the Virtual Reality Headset, and engineering platforms to enable millions to do the same. @WemoLab
- Helen Situ, NextVR. NextVR captures and delivers live and on-demand Virtual Reality experiences. From rock concerts to sporting events to fashion shows, and everything in-between – viewers are transported into life-like experiences with true broadcast quality. Twitter @nextvr_app and Instagram @nextvr. Demo of Samsung-Oculus Gear VR with live-action footage (NBA court-side, New York Fashion Week, Coldplay, etc).
- Rocketsail, AJ
When & Where
Digital LA is the largest digital networking group based in LA, reaching more than 80,000 professionals weekly via its newsletter and social media. Digital LA organizes weekly panels and mixers for digital professionals, including startup CEOs, VCs and investors, entertainment including Hollywood movie and TV studios, music labels, agencies, video games, VFX, social media, digital advertising, developers, designers, marketing and and more. Digital LA is the founder of Silicon Beach Fest, the original and largest multi-day startup / entertainment conference. Follow @DigitalLA. Digital LA has been recognized by Forbes and the LA Times as keeping LA's tech community together via its fun and friendly events.