Jersey City, NJ - 8 HSW and 1 GBCI Credit Hours
- Business & Professional
- Saint Peters University - Dinneen Hall - McIntyre Conference Center - FREE PARKING, Jersey City NJ
'Live Continuing Education & Networking Event'
July 1, 2014
6 AIA HSW Credit Hours towards your state license
8:00 AM Registration Begins
Morning Pastries, fruit and coffee provided.
8:40 - 9:40 AM (per Craig Haney 8:35 - 9:25)
Roofing Market Trends & Advantages of Fleeceback Membrane & Urethane Adhesives
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | Course: SDT110
Provider: Carlisle Construction Materials
Presenter: Brandon Dawson
In this program the participants will learn the physical performance advantages of fleece membranes
that enable them to resist the forces of mother nature such as wind, hail, rain, and cold. In addition
they will learn the performance advantages of urethane adhesives that eliminate the dependence
on solvents with VOCs or asphalt derived from foreign sources of oil. Several re-roofing advantages
afforded by fleece membranes will be covered where you can re-use existing roofing systems and
minimize landfill waste. Multiple-ply membrane options utilizing highly reflective TPO or extremely
weatherable EPDM as the cap sheet will also be covered.
1. Learn the physical performance advantages of fleece membranes that enable them to
resist the forces of mother nature such as wind, hail, rain, and cold.
2. Learn the performance advantages of urethane adhesives that eliminate the
dependence on solvents with VOCs or asphalt derived from foreign sources of oil.
3. Learn about re-roofing advantages afforded by fleece membranes that can re-use
existing roofing systems and minimize landfill waste.
4. Learn about multiple-ply membrane options utilizing highly reflective TPO or extremely
weatherable EPDM as the cap sheet.
9:50 - 10:50 AM (9:40 - 10:30)
PVC Roofing Materials, Performance, Construction, Functionality – One of a Kind?
1 AIA HSW Hour | AIA Course Number: SDR116
AIA Provider: Carlisle Construction Material
Presenter: Brandon Dawson and John Souders
PVC is one of the most diverse products in the building industry and one of the most misunderstood.
This presentation will help to better understand why PVC is one of the most versatile and modifiable
thermoplastics. With all the different formulations, types, reinforcements and construction,
knowledge of this product type will assist the specify in creating better specifications.
11:00 - 12:00 PM (10:50 - 11:30)
Locker Solutions for Every Place and Purpose
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: ISP10E
AIA Provider: Scranton Products
Presenter: Tim James
Lockers come in many shapes and sizes. In this one hour course, we will discuss uses for lockers, material choices and accessories. We will learn about ADA compliance and sustainability as it relates to lockers, and we will take a look at different options that add to the visual appeal, and options that make for an easier user experience.
1. Compare and contrast different material types for lockers in terms of their makeup, maintenance,
life span, and sustainable benefits to occupants and the environment
2. Identify different applications for HDPE plastic lockers and discuss design options that make them
more user-friendly, ADA compliant, and aesthetically pleasing to end users based on those applications.
3. Identify the health and environmental benefits of specifying HDPE plastic lockers made from 100%
4. Discuss fire code compliance of lockers and explain the importance of recognizing NFPA 286.
12:00 PM Lunch Sponsored by Tom Ratway with Mitsubishi Plastic Composites America
1:00 - 2:00 PM (1:10 - 2:00)
The Substitutions Game
1 HSW Credit Hour | AIA Course #: ISX00D
Provider: InfoSpec, Inc.
Presenter: Craig Haney
In this course, participants will gain insight into the reasons behind and concerns about product
substitutions. We will discuss why specifications must clearly define requirements for product
substitutions as well as how to effectively manage the product substitution process to ensure
that project requirements are met.
1. Discuss contractors' reasons for and owner's concerns about product substitutions.
2. Understand what industry-standard bidding and contracting documents say about product
3. Prepare accurate and enforceable substitution procedures in specifications.
4. Effectively manage product substitutions during the contract administration phase.
2:10 - 3:10 PM (2:10 - 3:00)
Moisture Control in Building Envelopes
AIA Course Number: isx00c
Presenter: Craig Haney
1. Identify the difference between a moisture barrier, moisture vapor retarder, and air barrier.
2. Discuss where and when to use a moisture barrier versus moisture vapor retarder or air barrie.r
3. Describe what materials are used to construct each type of barrier and how they work to minimize
condensation and other climatic conditions.
4. Describe how each of these barriers should be detailed.
3:20 - 4:20 PM (3:10 - 3:50)
Steep Sloped Premium Stone Coated Metal Roofing Systems
(New Course which is still in development will not be presented today in its place will be Steep Sloped).
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: IMU07E
AIA Provider: InfoSpec, Inc. Sponsor: Metals USA
Presenter: Dave Bartlett
This course will better inform the designer on how to properly specify stone coated metal
roofing system. Through a thorough review of installation procedures, cost breakdown and
system benefits to any project, the design professional attending this educational presentation
will be able to knowledgably specify a stone coated metal roofing system into their next project.
1. Define stone coated metal.
2. Depict how stone coated metal roofing is manufactured.
3. Explain the benefits of stone coated metal roofing.
4. Describe the installation methods for stone coated metal roofing systems.
5. Discuss how specifying stone coated metal roofing systems may contribute towards a
project earning LEED certification.
6. Describe how stone coated metal roofing systems are energy efficient & Energy Star
7. Explain the cost benefits of stone coated metal roofing systems.
'This Agenda is not a final schedule, and is subject to updates, additions and change'.
The CE Academy is coming to a city near you!
Are you a design professional or spec writer in need of CE credit hours to maintain your AIA membership or state license? CE Academy, Inc. organizes 4-8 hours of continuing education in a seminar format so you can earn multiple CE hours at one time.
These AIA and/or GBCI registered courses provide education credit. CE Academy will also manage the reporting of your credits to the AIA and email you a certificate of completion for your records after the event.
Available education credits include:
>> AIA HSW CE Hours
>> GBCI CE Hours for LEED® Professionals
>> ADA Hours Accessibility/barrier-free
For more information email email@example.com.
For a list of accessible education and LEED webinar courses, please visit GreenCE.
In order to purchase these tickets in installments, you'll need an Eventbrite account. Log in or sign up for a free account to continue.