San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Defensive Pistol I
Course page: http://www.desotogunrange.com/defensive-pistol-i/
This course assumes that you already have a solid foundation and level of knowledge relating to safe shooting and the care and maintenance of your pistol. We will not be directly covering material typically found in an introductory pistol course of a concealed carry permit course, though we may expand upon some of this previous material. Specific topics covered, and tasks to perform, include the following:
- Rules for fighting with a pistol.
- Legal, moral and ethical issues surrounding self-defense and the usage of deadly force.
- Crime statistics review.
- Defensive encounter distances review.
- The principles of self-defense.
- The self defense-mindset.
- Equipment considerations for self-defense usage.
- Pistol malfunctions and solutions.
- Presentation from the holster / replacing in the holster.
- Dry-fire exercises.
- Live-fire exercise on the range.
Upon completion of Defensive Pistol I, you will have the skills and attitude needed to use your pistol in a defensive situation with confidence and accuracy.
You must have the following equipment with you on the day of the class.
- Eye and ear protection.
- Comfortable clothing, especially shoes, and a baseball cap or other hat.
- Pistol or revolver suitable for concealed carry usage in an appropriate self-defense caliber (typically .38 Special or .357 Magnum in revolver or .380 ACP, 9 mm, .40 S&W, 10 mm or .45 ACP in semi-auto)
- 300 rounds of practice (target) ammunition.
- 5 dummy rounds (A-Zoom snap caps or other brand).
- At least three magazines or speed loaders for your pistol.
- A quality strong-side belt holster that is correctly fitted to your pistol, such as from Comp-Tac, Galco, Fobus, Blade-Tech, etc.
- A quality weak-side magazine or speed load carrier that is fitted correctly for your equipment, such as from Comp-Tac, Galco, Fobus, Blade-Tech, etc.
- A quality gun belt (not a dress belt) that can comfortably support the weight of your pistol and magazines or speed loaders, such as from 5.11, Galco, etc.
- A cover garment.
- Cleaning items for your pistol.
- An appropriate bag to carry your firearms, magazines, ammunition and other gear.
When & Where
DeSoto Rifle & Pistol Club
The DeSoto Rifle & Pistol Club range complex near Como in Panola County has become Northwest Mississippi’s first choice for a safe and enjoyable place to shoot or train. We are a private range complex with facilities open to members 7 days a week, 365 days a year from sunrise to sunset. Members have unlimited access to the complex and may bring as many up two guests per visit.
To learn more about DR&PC, or to become a member, please visit our website.