San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Nonprofits, advocates, volunteers, and developers:
#Apps4ChangeDemo Breakfast in DC, a demo of social benefit apps built by a variety of individuals and groups in Washington, DC where we plan to:
- Give Developers a place to share their prototypes and apps with the subject matter experts who can provide useful feedback from direct experiences in the sector.
- Get ideas from nonprofits and issue advocates, and turn those ideas into an actionable format so developers at Hackathons could build on them and eventually turn those ideas into apps.
- Create a discussion environment between Developers and Social Change Agents and demystify apps for social benefit.
This event is targeted at: nonprofits and their supporters with ideas and developers who have made prototypes or apps for social benefit.
The focus of the event is to create a space where developers can share their prototypes and apps with the people who can give them valuable feedback, from those who work in the sector. Also, at this event, nonprofits get a chance to see what kind of apps for social change are being created and what is possible for their organizations.
Our goal is to create tools and apps that make the world a better place.
We hope to demystify conversations around civic and open data to nonprofits and help them realize that their ideas can contribute to apps for social and civic benefit.
It should be an inspiring, fun, and informative conversation that will influence community-relevant tool development. You will meet and learn from tech developers, nonprofits, influencers, product designers, and civic leaders who will offer guidance and feedback.
You will leave the event with valuable skills to develop products that will shape tomorrow's technology landscape.
We also welcome developers to showcase the projects they have built in hackathons or elsewhere, and get real-time feedback from nonprofits who are subject matter experts in the issues that these tools target.
CONFIRMED DEMO PARTICIPANTS:
- Polis Politics
- Open Health Network
- Maya Health App
- The Water Tracker
- 9:00 am – 9:30 am: Check-in, networking and breakfast
- 9:30 am – 9:40 am: Welcome from Caravan Studios
- 9:45 am – 10:45 am: DEMOS (9 demos, 5 mins each) + Audience Q&A
- 10:50 am – 11:10 am: Feedback from Nonprofits/Discussion
- 11:15 - noon: Networking
If you’ve found yourself wondering if your org needs a mobile app, we’ll show you examples of apps for social benefit that are already in use. You’ll have an opportunity to share your organization’s real-world problems with the people who may be able to translate those challenges into tools that support your work. We’d love to help you get to the next level and build apps for your nonprofit cause.
What we ask of you:
- Come with ideas for how technology can be implemented
- Bring anyone on your team in charge of implementing technology
- Be ready to brainstorm ideas with developers during breakfast
Hackers & Developers:
If you've built an app for social benefit, let us shine a light on your App-For-Impact project or prototype. We’ll introduce you to a network of nonprofits who are interested in your work and can help you move your prototype into the hands of users.
What we ask of you:
- Five-minute demo of your app/project
- Ask questions about the usability of your app and be ready to discuss feedback
- Commitment to Open Source technology
Interested in speaking, sponsoring, demoing or have other questions?
Contact: Susan Tenby email@example.com
When & Where
Caravan Studios, a division of TechSoup, produces applications for the social good using a five-step community engagement process. Our technology projects address urgent local needs around youth hunger, volunteer management in time-sensitive situations, community access to open government data, domestic violence, and human trafficking.