David Berlow: Web Fonts Dissected – One Day Workshop
Wednesday, June 6, 2012 from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM (EDT)
1. We will start by designing a small number of glyphs and taking them all the way through hinting to browser specimens. (1.5 hours)
2. Then, we will break up into two groups: those who want to design and/or hint; and those who want to get up-to-speed on use of non-default web fonts. (1.5 hours)
3. Everyone makes a little web site (2 hrs)
4. Critique & Review (remainder of time): we look at the designed and/or hinted glyphs online; we look at the non-default font selection and use online.
5. Everyone gets a WebType goodie.
Requirements (What to bring)
A laptop computer with a browser and optionally the attendee’s font drawing application of choice.
About the instructor
David Berlow entered the type industry in 1978 as a trainee in New York City at Merganthaler Linotype, a leading manufacturer of typesetting equipment. In 1982 he joined the newly launched digital type supplier, Bitstream, where he developed fonts, font tools, and marketing strategies.
In 1989 he formed The Font Bureau with Roger Black, where he has developed custom type designs for The Chicago Tribune, The Wall Street Journal, Entertainment Weekly, Newsweek, Esquire, Rolling Stone, and Hewlett Packard. His type designs include Charcoal, Gadget, and Techno for Apple Computer, ITC Franklin Gothic Condensed and ITC Franklin Gothic Compressed for ITC, Dow Text for the Wall Street Journal, and the Giza family for Font Bureau.
Date: Wednesday, June 6
Fees and deadlines
Early Bird (register by May 11): TDC members $275; non-members $350.
Regular Fee (register by May 30): TDC members $425; non-members $500.
Location: TDC Conference Center, 347 West 36th Street, Suite 603, New York, NY, 10018
Cancellation Policy: If you must cancel, please notify us via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, 11 May 2012. Your registration fee will be refunded less $50 processing fee. No refunds will be made after this date. Based on student registration the TDC will reserve the rights to cancel the workshop.
Seating is limited. Reservations will be accepted with payment only.