Dave Wiens West Elk Bicycle Classic
Sunday, September 1, 2013 at 7:00 AM (PDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
Dave Wiens West Elk Bicycle Classic
Registration is open!
The Dave Wiens West Elk Bicycle Classic is a 130mi (100mi option) gran fondo or timed tour from Gunnison to Crested Butte CO with 9300' of climbing. This is an event for cyclists that can go the distance--a long distance. The roads are frightfully nice and see very few cars. This is an experience you won't want to miss and you will want more.
For more information about the Dave Wiens West Elk Bicycle Classic, please visit westelkbicycleclassic.com.
A gran fondo is what you make it. Do you want to race others on a demanding course? Do you want to just tour and try to finish a demanding course? Or you can start racing and then just try to finish. We are open to all abilities, however you should train hard for this event. It is not easy.
We will have prizes for top finishers and will have a raffle.
When you ride our course you will wonder if you can ever go back home. The roads really are amazing. Very little traffic, smooth, and incredible scenery. That is until you hit Kebler pass. Here the road gets steep and turns to dirt. Your friends will have a hard time imagining a race like this. You don't have to.
What is included?
We are keeping our event small-250 riders. This is not a 5000 person ride. You will be a person. You can talk to some of our local legends like Dave Wiens who will be on hand. You will have bragging rights of doing the most unique ride around. With entry you will also receive at a minimum;
- West Elk Bicycle Classic full zip jersey (mens or womens cut). If you sign up late you may have to pick yours up after the event or have it mailed.
- West Elk Bicycle Classic SOS merino wool socks for the first 150 riders. Sign up early to ensure your size.
- 6 well stocked aid stations including GU Energy products.
- West Elk Bicycle Classic water bottle
- SAG and Support (Mechanical and Medical). Little yellow Mavic neutral support car last year and this year hopefully. Just like the TDF.
- Food from Crested Butte standard Donita's Cantina at the the finish.
- New Belgium beer afterwards in downtown Crested Butte Colorado.
- Third Bowl homemade icecream to help replenish you. And coffee prizes from Camp4Coffee.
- Great prizes for fastest riders to the top of Kebler and raffle. Including Rum from Montanya Distillery.
When you register you may purchase extra socks, jerseys, a massage, and extra meal/beer tickets if you want to eat with your family.
You may register at packet pick up Friday August 30 6-8 pm, Saturday August 31 4-8pm, or Sunday September 1 5:30-6:00 at the West Elk Bicycle Classic start at Taylor Hall Welcome center on the Western State Colorado University campus in Gunnison CO. See the course map for location.
To pay with a credit card click on the link below when checking out-you don't have to have a Paypal account. Sorry this isn't easier.
Enjoy the ride!
What are my transport/parking options getting to the event?
We have ample parking at Western State Colorado University Campus at the start area. See map above or at www.westelkbicycleclassic.com
Where can I contact the organizer with any questions?
Please email us at info@westelkbicycleclassic or call 970 318 6783
Is my registration transferrable?
You may transfer your registration if you can't do the event.
What is the refund policy?
The West Elk bicycle Classic is a rain or shine event. We will cancel only if the weather presents a danger. Bring your rain coats (We usually have little precipitation this time of year).
When & Where
Western State Colorado University Mountain Sports
The Mountain Sports program at Western State Colorado University (we call it "Western!") is all about competetive cycling, skiing, snowboarding and trail running. Western and the upper Gunnison Valley are home to some of the best mountains, trails and landscapes anywhere for these sports. For more information, contact Mountain Sports Director, Dave Wiens as email@example.com or visit our website at: