‘Continuing Education and Networking Event’
March 19, 2014
5 AIA HSW Credit Hours
1 ADA Hour for Licensed Architects | Accessibility/ADA/Barrier-Free Design
8:00 AM Registration Begins
Morning Refreshments and Coffee provided
8:30 – 9:30 AM (verified by BG)
Incorporating Pest Barriers into the Building Envelope
1 AIA HSW Credit Hour | Course #: IPO07A
AIA Provider: Polyguard Products, Inc.
Presenter: John Muncaster
The building envelope has proven its value in controlling energy loss and moisture. But why not design the envelope to also act as a pest barrier? Research beginning in 2000 has proven that there are several materials which can block termites, insects, and other pests from entry to a structure. A tested and proven insect barrier sealant with elastomeric properties can: 1. Seal off almost all pest entry points, and 2. Stretch over the myriad gaps, crevices, and cracks which occur in all structures from differential movement of building components. By drastically reducing the opportunity for pest entry, there can be a significant reduction in pesticides needed to eliminate the pests.
1. Explain the amount of pretreatment pesticides currently in use.
2. Describe the numerous ways pests enter structures.
3. Explain the interactions between state pest control regulators and building code officials in new
construction pest control considerations.
4. Discuss several new materials and design alternatives to incorporate pest barriers into the building
5. Explain three new levels of pest barriers, ranging from low to premium in cost, for specifiers to
6. Discuss LEED credits applicable to the new material and design alternatives.
9:40 - 10:40 AM (verified by BG)
Surface Innovation - Redefining Boundaries of Interior and Exterior Spaces with Ultracompact Surfacing – ‘Dekton by Cosentino’ http://www.dekton.com/usa/
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #:COS06E
AIA Provider: InfoSpec, Inc.
Presenter: Todd Schoenemann
In this course, we explore a cutting edge surfacing technology, ultracompact surfacing. Gain insight
into how this surfacing material possesses the same characteristics of natural stone while providing
unmatched color and design flexibility.
1. Discuss the evolution of surfaces and the various types of surfacing material for interior and
2. Define ultracompact surfacing and the innovative production process that creates
intrinsically unique properties.
3. Discuss designing with ultracompact surfaces in terms color, texture, and format.
4. Discuss the advantages of compact surfaces in terms of strength, durability, chemical
resistance, absorption, abrasion resistance, and ASTM testing.
5. Identify possible interior/exterior application options with ultracompact surfacing material.
10:50 - 11:50 AM (10:45 - 11:55) (verified by BG)
“ACCESSIBILITY: TAS Basics 101”
The 2012 Texas Accessibility Standards - Changes that You Need To Know
One Hour – Texas Board of Architectural Examiners (TBAE) | CE No. 130226
1 HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: FCA00A
AIA Provider: Ron Blank & Associates, Inc
Presented By: Fred D. Cawyer AIA, NCARB, RAS, APA
1. Provide a general review of the 2012 Texas Accessibility Standards (TAS).
2. Discuss the TDLR-AB accessibility Plan Review and on-site inspection processes.
3. Explain the 2012 Texas Accessibility Standards - Addressing changes from the previous
4. List components of mandatory compliance required since 15 March 2012
5. Discuss TDLR-AB 2012 TAS - Technical Memorandums and photographic accessibility examples
applying the new standards.
Questions & Answers:
12:00 PM Lunch Sponsored by Max Rodgers with RM Rodgers, Inc.
1:00 - 2:00 PM (verified by BG)
Updated - Steep Sloped Premium Stone Coated Metal Roofing Systems- July 2013
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: IMU07E
AIA Provider: Metals USA
Presenter: John Quint
This course will better inform the designer on how to properly specify stone coated metal
roofing system. Through a thorough review of installation procedures, cost breakdown and
system benefits to any project, the design professional attending this educational presentation
will be able to knowledgably specify a stone coated metal roofing system into their next project.
1. Define stone coated metal.
2. Depict how stone coated metal roofing is manufactured.
3. Explain the benefits of stone coated metal roofing.
4. Describe the installation methods for stone coated metal roofing systems.
5. Discuss how specifying stone coated metal roofing systems may contribute towards a
project earning LEED certification.
6. Describe how stone coated metal roofing systems are energy efficient & Energy Star
7. Explain the cost benefits of stone coated metal roofing systems.
2:10 - 3:10 PM (verified by BG)
Drafting an Understanding of Polished Concrete
1 AIA HSW CE Hour | AIA Course #: AFP1
AIA Provider: Advanced Floor Products (RetroPlate) Provider number J550
Presenter: Deke Rife
Today we can give an old worn-out concrete floor “NEW” life through the polishing
and densification process. This course is designed to give an overview of that process,
the marriage of concrete densification of and grinding and polishing concrete with
diamonds. “Polished Concrete”.
This Agenda is not a final schedule, and is subject to updates, additions and changes.
When & Where
CE Academy, Inc.
The CE Academy is coming to a city near you!
Are you a design professional or spec writer in need of CE credit hours to maintain your AIA membership or state license? CE Academy, Inc. organizes 4-8 hours of continuing education in a seminar format so you can earn multiple CE hours at one time.
These AIA and/or GBCI registered courses provide education credit. CE Academy will also manage the reporting of your credits to the AIA and email you a certificate of completion for your records after the event.
Available education credits include:
>> AIA HSW CE Hours
>> GBCI CE Hours for LEED® Professionals
>> ADA Hours Accessibility/barrier-free
For more information email email@example.com.
For a list of accessible education and LEED webinar courses, please visit GreenCE.