It's our real anniversary. The first year we've been able to have it on the date of our opening. We love you, we thank you; and we want to do this by bringing you some of the bands we love, local and national... Go Durham, go Triangle, go us. We've made a lot of headway since 2008 as a venue and a community, prevailed through hard times, and are stoked to stay around for a very, very long time.
Crystal Antlers (Touch and Go / Quarterstick Records):www.tgrec.com/bands/band.php?id=113
" Crystal Antlers are still a band of volcanic force maintaining the long-haired spirit of 1968 on their second LP. "
Pitchfork: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/15593-two-way-mirror/(7.0, 6.7, 8.5)
LA Times: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2011/08/pop-hiss-premiere-a-stream-of-the-charity-compilation-beat-la-ft-no-age-crystal-antlers-bobb-bruno-o.html
Free Electric State (Churchkey Records): http://freeelectricstate.com/
“The quartet favors mid-length rock anthems rigorously structured around charging rhythms and thick guitar tones, like a speaker cabinet of shoegazer records rattling loose in some dark dancehall.”
- Grayson Currin / INDY
When & Where
The Pinhook has become Durham’s premiere venue for live music, excellent DJ’s, basic chilling, and collaborative creative events. Here’s what we got:
- Weekends of Musical Mayhem- featuring the best bands from The Triangle, North Carolina, and well beyond.
- Weeknight Monthlies like Open Mics, Open Jams, Karaoke, Trivia, and DJ sets.
- THE GREATEST BAR STAFF IN THE UNIVERSE!
- Pool, Tekken, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, Backgammon, Scrabble, etc. (and people with whom to play these games)
- CHEAP. DRINKS. $3 Tallboys, $2 PBR, $1.50 Schlitz, $4 Well Drinks Monday-Wednesday.
- Nightly specials – the perfect way to make cheap drinks even cheaper.
- A PATIO OUT BACK! OUR PATIO IS SO AWESOME. I LOVE YOU, PATIO.
But the most important thing we have is YOU. The Pinhook is YOUR place. We believe that communities thrive when there is a public place for their citizens to be themselves, whether on stage or on a barstool, relaxing or rocking out. For Durham and the Triangle, the Pinhook is that place.
You gotta make your own fun in life, but we’re here to help.