Creating a Healthy Community Conference
Tuesday, October 1, 2013 from 7:30 AM to 5:00 PM (EDT)
San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
On Tuesday, October 1, 2013 join us for the P2 Collaborative of Western New York's seventh annual conference, Creating a Healthy Community, at Salvatore’s Italian Gardens. This year’s conference will focus on how we can join together to create a healthier, more equitable community for all. It provides an opportunity for diverse stakeholders to assemble and learn how we can make Western New York a better place to live, work and play.
Creating A Healthy Community will highlight:
- Health Promotion: Fitness & Nutrition: discussions about sugary beverages and the effects of physical activity on the brain
- Fresh Food: From Farm to Table: discover what makes up our local food system and how community gardens are engaging their neighborhoods
- Community Health Improvement: dissect the data behind County Health Rankings and find out where the eight counties of Western New York currently stand
- Care Transformation: learn about how community resources and primary care can partner together to better serve the chronically ill.
We have a distinguished lineup of nationally-renowned experts:
- Zorba Paster, M.D., family physician, professor, author and broadcast journalist most widely known as the co-host of “Zorba Paster on Your Health” from Wisconsin Public Radio and Public Radio International
- Marilyn Aguirre-Molina, Ed.D., M.S., professor of public health at Lehman College and the City University of New York Graduate Center and a founding director of the City University of New York Institute for Health Equity
- Oran Hesterman, president and chief executive officer of the non-profit organization Fair Food Network and a national leader in sustainable agriculture and food systems
- Michael Parchman, M.D., M.P.H, director of the MacColl Center for Health Care Innovation and a leader improving the quality of care delivered to patients with chronic illness
- Paul Zientarski, Learning Readiness PE (LRPE) Coordinator for the Naperville, Illinois Community School District. LRPE pairs of Physical Education classes with Math and Literacy classes to produce more academically alert students
- Gina Massuda-Barnett, Director of Chronic Disease Prevention & Health Promotion at the Cook County Florida Department of Public Health, which led a campaign to educate residents across suburban Cook County, Illinois on the issue of sugary beverages
- Julie A. Willems Van Dijk, R.N. Ph.D., Associate Scientist and Deputy Director, County Health Roadmaps at the University of Wisconsin Population Health Institute. Since 2010, The County Health Rankings have served as an annual check-up on the health of counties in all 50 states
- Lisa Tucker, Co-founder and Board President of Field &Fork Network, Owner & Publisher of Edible Buffalo Magazine and food systems educator for Cornell University Cooperative Extension of Niagara County
From start to finish, Creating a Healthy Community will equip attendees with the knowledge and information they need to go out and make WNY a healthier place- together.
The doors will open at 7:30am. See you there!
When & Where
P² Collaborative of Western New York
The mission of the P2 Collaborative of Western New York is to improve the health of Western New York residents. It is through this commitment that the P2 Collaborative drives innovations in health and health care in WNY as a convener of individual consumers, community-based organizations, primary care practices, hospitals and health plans.