Join fellow Cal Poly Bay Area alumni & outdoor enthusiasts on this 4.5- or 9-mile family-friendly hike around San Francisco's Sutro Baths ruins and Lands End, heading along the California Coastal Trail to the Golden Gate Bridge. Discover this wild & rocky northwestern corner of SF, punctuated with stunning vistas, bluffs, cypress trees & wildflowers, coastal birds, views of old shipwrecks, and pocket beaches. It's an opportunity to explore an area you may have been thinking about and also to network and socialize with other CP alumni!
- Meet at USS San Francisco Memorial upper parking lot (650 Point Lobos, SF). Our leaders (Liz and Heather) will be wearing their green & gold. Feel free to do the same!
- Check out visitor center exhibits & artifacts about Lands End cultural & natural history
- Explore the Sutro Baths ruins (down staircase from Lands End Lookout visitor center)
- 4.5-mile moderate hike to Golden Gate Bridge
EN ROUTE (about 1.5 hours)
- 3 restrooms along the way (#1 at Lookout, #2 at Baker Beach, and #3 at GG Bridge)
11:15 AM-12:15 PM
- Lunch/snack break @ 4.5 mile-point (Golden Gate Bridge)
- Return: 2 options (We will leave this up to individual participants):
- Option A: Take MUNI bus #29 back to Lands End Lookout visitor center
- Option B: Hike back (4.5 mi.) to Lands End Lookout visitor center with leader Liz
- 9-mile Hikers arrive back at the Lands End Lookout visitor center (with Liz)
YOU MAY WANT TO BRING:
- Camera / camera phone
- Clipper Card / bus fare
- Comfortable hiking clothes (e.g., jeans, hiking shoes, windbreaker/raincoat)
- For infants & toddlers: Front & back baby carrier or child carrier hiking backpack (Note: We do *not* recommend any strollers or riding toys. There are hills & stairs.)
- GPS watch to track your hiking specs / map your trail
- Sun protection: Sunglasses, hat, and sunscreen
- Water and/or a lunch (We will provide granola bars & oranges)
- Other: Binoculars, backpack, interpretive field guides, etc.
Lands End brochure (history, points of interest, and trail maps):
Lands End Lookout visitor center (650 Point Lobos):
> Hours: Open 7 days a week, opens at 9:00 am
> Features exhibits & artifacts, interpretive merchandise, & restrooms
> Parking: Large (free) parking lot adjacent to Lookout, off Great Highway
> Lookout Cafe: Fresh, locally-sourced grab & go fare (drinks, salads, sandwiches, soups)
Note: There is another large event going on that day [mainly at Chrissy Field @ the Presidio].
Parking: It's limited. There are 3 free nearby parking lots [but they tend to fill up when the weather is nice]: (1) Lands End Lookout visitor center lot; (2) USS San Francisco Memorial [upper] parking lot (next to the Lands End Lookout lot); & (3) a small lot across from Louis. Outside of that, there is free parking along the Great Highway & also neighborhood streets.
Alternative transit: We encourage you to coordinate your own carpools or take alternative modes of transportation (e.g., MUNI bus, bicycle, walking or jogging). The area is hilly.
CONTACTS (EVENT ORGANIZERS):
Heather Josten, Event Co-Chair Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
RAINY DAY PLANS:
- Alt Plan A: Hike rain or shine w Liz! (Be prepared; bring raincoats & waterproof shoes.)
- Alt Plan B: Spend a rainy day at the Legion of Honor Museum with Heather! (The museum is along this trail. There is another free parking lot adjacent to the Museum.)
Photo Credit (Golden Gate Bridge): Elizabeth Beeler McWhorter, 2014