San Francisco, California
London, United Kingdom
With the law, what you don’t know can hurt you, so protect yourself, your company, and be informed. The website Xanga was fined $1 million for COPPA violations, for repeatedly allowing children under 13 to sign up for the service without getting their parent's consent.
Join the Social Media Club of Los Angeles as we bring in legal experts to discuss copyright, COPPA, DMCA, privacy, liability, defamation, take-down notices, terms of service and more.
We'll be hearing from:
Lisa Borodkin - Entertainment Attorney & Blogger
Matt Neco - General Council at DocStoc
Alan Friel - Chairperson, Edwards Wilman's Media and Technology Practice
Daniel Stuart - Music Industry Attorney
Michael Overing - Moderator, attorney and adjunct professer at USC Annenberg
Topics covered will include:
- Privacy: What information are you obliged to protect and what happens if the information is revealed?
- COPPA (Children's Online Privacy Protection Act): How to deal with children's privacy on your site.
- DMCA (Digital Millennium Copyright Act) - How can you protect yourself from hefty fees, lawsuits or even criminal prosecution due to copyright violations and get others to stop using your content without permission?
- What to do when you receive a takedown notice?
- What is Safe Harbor?
- How can you protect yourself from litigation for defamation and other claims arising from content on your site?
- What are Terms of Service and Privacy Policies and why should you have them on your site?
- What other means of protecting yourself and your company exist?
Venue: WeWork Hollywood
7083 Hollywood Blvd - Hollywood 90028
Note - Building parking is limited $18. Please watch the street and parking lot signs. SMCLA does not reimburse for parking.
Use the hashtag #SMCLA to follow the conversation on Twitter!
SPONSOR THIS EVENT
We rely on your tickets, donations, and sponsorships to keep our events low cost for everyone to join in. If you are interested in sponsoring an event, please contact Board member Charles Miller at @chasmiller or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
When & Where
Social Media Club Los Angeles
Social Media Club Los Angeles designs monthly educational networking events focused on new and emerging social media trends and tools for business, case studies, and best practices.
We strive to bring in speakers and hold interactive sessions and workshops useful to social media newbies and experts alike.
Join SMC today at http://socialmediaclub.org/membership