Building a game and want to build a community of passionate, excited and helpful players? Hold on to your hats because when you attend Conquer the Trolls, you’ll unlock the wizards tower full of helpful information about how to plan and sustain a game community built around your games and your studios.
Notes For Attendees:
- Please make sure you have eaten lunch ahead of the workshop. There will be snack/washroom breaks during the workshop with snacks provided by IGDA Chicago. If you have any specific food allergies or restrictions please contact the organizer.
- Please bring a laptop or tablet you can use to complete any exercises, if you do not have either please let us know if a) you would like to bring your PC setup or b) you would like to see if arrangements can be made to have a PC setup for you (there may be additional costs for this request).
- Note: Although you can take notes/complete the workshop activities with pen and paper this will hamper your ability to fully participate in the workshop.
- Please be prepared to do the ACTUAL work during the workshop. The facilitator will be taking you through various activities and education and practical application of those lessons is expected of all attendees.
- Specific Note For This Workshop: Bring any current community plans, games in-development or existing social network pages that you manage if you’d like to share examples with everyone and get feedback.
- Please have realistic expectations. These are group workshops designed to walk everyone through the same general processes and lessons. All facilitators and their companies are providing their expertise at a significant discount for IGDA Chicago attendees. If you are looking for additional assistance post-workshop please talk with the facilitator who can make arrangements with participants on a case-by-case basis for any additional services or help you require.
Additional Information On Your Facilitator:
Ryan Olsen has spent the better part of the decade working in the trenches of video game community. He started his career in games media for a community focused website and covered events, launches and game reviews. After that, he took the nearest Hippogryph flightpath to Chicago to work as a community manager for mobile games. He is currently the PR Manager for the community focused game publisher MonkeyPaw Games. Ryan also finds it extremely odd to talk about himself in the third person.
Say hello to Ryan on Twitter: @Ryan_Olsen
Getting To The Venue:
Tribeca Flashpoint Academy is located at 28 North Clark Street in Chicago, IL, USA. Our campus is steps from major bus and train lines, and is within walking distance from some of Chicago's most famous landmarks.
Tribeca Flashpoint Academy's guests may take advantage of discounted parking rates at the CPS Parking structure located at 172 West Madison in Chicago, just a block away from campus. To obtain our reduced parking rate of $15 for a maximum 12-hour stay, ask your host for a parking coupon when you leave.
When & Where
IGDA Chicago has been a chapter of the International Game Developers Association (IGDA) since 2001. We are comprised of entrepreneurs, developers, teachers, industry professionals, and combinations of all of the above. We are people passionate about Chicago, about games, and about improving the game development community of Chicago.